Chapter 15 - Part 1

We were finishing supper the following evening when the rider came in. A thin teen, maybe fifteen, some squire I'd seen at Suata who didn't accompany us here. He was in a sweat despite the cooler weather, led in by the steward.

"Milords, Master Carol just rode in from Suata."

Boian was already standing, watching the kid, who looked from him to Grigore to me and back, obviously confused about who he should report to, but obviously had something crucial to deliver.

"Speak up," I said. I didn't know if I was breaking protocol and really didn't care.

Carol approached me, genuflecting as he handed me a scroll case. "Milord Kevin of the Realm, Sobecks attacked Dambu and Eggir during yesterday afternoon's storms. They are destroyed."

I waved Boian over and handed him the scroll. As he took it, he asked, "What of Floresca Hall?"

"We don't know, Milords."

Boian eyed the boy as he fumbled the scroll out of its case and broke the seal. "When did you leave?"

"Yesterday at dark. They thought I'd be safe since Sobecks don't attack at night."

"And so you were. Any dangers on the road?"

"Nothing I couldn't ride away from, Milord."

"Good man," Boian said, though his smile never went past his mouth. "Go find a spot and get some food and drink." Then Boian froze and turned to me, "By your leave, Lord Kevin?"

"Of course, Lord Boian." He'd overstepped his rank, but I wanted past that. It didn't matter. "I don't want Master Carol passing out in front of us. Go eat, but we may have questions later."

The squire dropped to a knee again, then rose, backing away several steps before turning, the steward escorting him out.

Boian rolled out the scroll on the table. There was little written there that Carol hadn't already relayed to us, except, "They caught the villages by surprise because of the noise of the storm. The Sobecks attacked house by house, gaining surprise at most of the homes. Only a few survivors escaped into the storm."

I watched as Boian read that part, his face ashen. "I had a contingent at each of those villages," he whispered.

"What's left before Suata Manor?"

"Tilo. A little bigger than Eggir, but not by much. I have a contingent there, too. They would be warned about attacks in any future storms, but I need more than a dozen of my men there. I'm being decimated. If Floresca Hall has fallen...."

I nodded. Sir Florin had four contingents under him but had lost several in the battle we had on the way to Suata. Some men at arms survived, but many had wounds that wouldn't be close to healed yet.

"Lord Calin," I said, raising my voice and looking his way. "I know you sent several contingents to aid Lord Bogdan in the north. Do you have any to spare for the east?"

"Milord, Lord Emil should be sending his own forces—"

"Which he will be, I'm sure," I said, cutting Calin off, and I saw Emil nod. "We are being attacked on two fronts...the northwest and the east. Lord Marian is already sending forces from his western Burgrave to aid Lord Bogdan. Lord Emil also sent orders for some of his forces in aid. We already decided these forces should be sufficient to battle and push back the northern invaders. I don't know if the Sobecks are allied with the other attackers or are on their own, or maybe someone else is controlling them. We've talked about that enough. We need to be able to defend our towns and villages, and we need boots on the ground to do that. What can you offer?"

Calin pondered a moment. "I have to provide protection for the heart of Baemardis. I can only spare three contingents, Milord Kevin."

I nodded, then looked at Lord Tiber. Because of his position to the south, we hadn't asked for his forces for the northwest attacks. Now, however...

He stood, raising his hand, beating me to the punch.

"I can provide," he began, "at least a dozen contingents, maybe more. They will aid Lord Emil and be his to command."

And feed, I thought. Part of the problem with bringing over a hundred people into an area here was that it stressed the ability to feed them. Still, that would be Emil's problem.

Grigore looked at me, some fear in his eyes.

"My pardon, Lord Regent. I know we haven't discussed this, but does this meet with your approval."

He nodded, then said, "Yes, Lord Kevin, though we should discuss this with the Burgraves to finalize plans."

"Exactly my thought," I said, "though they should send out messengers now with preliminary orders so preparations can be made. Shall we adjourn to have this meeting?"

"I so declare," Grigore stated, rising from his chair and leading us to the meeting chamber.