Chapter 26

We'd left camp heading north and rode to a set of ruins. There were a few standing walls, but it was made up mainly of scattered stone blocks. As we stopped, a Sobeck stepped out from behind the partially standing wall of what was probably an outbuilding. He was a hybrid by his looks, dark streaks running through his silver fur.

"Don't shoot," I said, "but watch our flanks."

He stabbed his spear into the ground, then threw his knife point first into the dirt next to it before giving out a roar and pointing at me.

"What now?" Allie whispered.

"We see what happens," I said and dismounted, not taking my eyes off him as I moved in front of my horse.

I undid my weapons belt, set it on the ground, and stepped forward.

He began a limping trot, and I dashed to the closest block and sat down.

He stopped, seemingly confused, then pointed at me to get up.

I shook my head. "No," I said. I'm here to talk. Do you understand me?"

He paused, then nodded.

"Then come and sit so we can talk."

He made some sounds that sounded language-like, though not intelligible. "Aut ock."

That wasn't going to help matters. "Can you get someone to translate...talk for you?"

He gave something between a howl and a gargle, but there was intelligence in the sounds. After a moment, a woman...completely human...walked up. Her faded blonde hair was streaked with gray, and she wore a deerskin dress decorated with beads, one side indicating she was the daughter of a cavalier.

She seemed uncertain but moved forward. As she got even with this older hybrid Sobeck, Sinense sat on the ground next to me. This brought a smile from the woman, but what was Sinense doing?

"We need to sit," the woman said and sat on a stone about five feet from us. He squatted next to her rather than taking a seat on the rock.

She began. "I'm here, so what are we talking about?"

"Not killing each other, for starts," I replied. No pleasantries, but I supposed that was par for this course.

He said something to her, and she smiled.

"Why?"

"I'm tired of it, so either we make some sort of peace, or I wipe you out. I'd rather do the first, but I can do the second if I have to."

Allie came to my other side and went to a squat.

"Your women defend you?"

"If need be, or I defend them, but I have no desire to kill him or you."

"Or you wish to lure us out into the open so you can kill us easier."

"I can't argue that logic," I said, holding my hands out. "That could be my reason, but it isn't. I am Lord Protector Kevin of the Realm. This is my sister, Maid Protector Allie of the Realm, and this is Maid Sinense of the Realm." I glanced behind me, seeing that Cornelia, Reginar, and Nathan had moved about halfway to us and announced them.

If I'd intended to impress them, it worked. The woman paled and whispered something to her...man...who nodded, looking shocked.

"I did not know," she said, then stood and curtsied. "I am Belisa Cullar, once a daughter of Sir Gomar Cullar before he died, and I was taken for breeding to Sobecks by Burgrave Antoni Bassani. My husband Arkar," she continued with a gesture to the silver-furred hybrid, "is the son of Burgrave Bassani and a Sobeck named Vaya. And yes, we are part of those who attacked the Burgrave and fled from humankind. Does that change your mind about what you will do with us?"