Chapter 5 - Part 4

That night, I lay there, trying to roll the things through my head from the day. We'd forded the former, future, or alternate world Colorado River Lord Boian called the River Bacea and set camp away from the river a quarter mile.

Oana had called me New Papa right after calling Ellie New Mama. I pointed to Ellie. "She's my sister. If she's New Mama, I can't be New Papa, can I?"

Oana dropped to her knees and put her head on the ground. "Lord Kevin," then stayed there.

"It's Lord Kevin of the Realm, little one," Lord Boian said. "You especially will need to remember this."

"Isn't Uncle Kevin good enough?"

"Maybe out here with just the four of us, Maid Elexus, but remember that she is both common and a child. She should not speak unless spoken to first, and you should be called Maid Elexus of the Realm by her just as you are by me."

"What's with all these honorifics anyway," annoyance in her voice. "We didn't even know—"

"You're right, Ellie. We didn't. We need to learn. Lord Boian Toma, Primor of Suata under the Burgrave of Bacea under the Regent of the Realm of Baemardis, Knight of the Golden Scroll, says he'll help us to get ready for court and at least some of the intrigue there."

"Okay...," Ellie drawled out, Oana watching her closely. "So, what is a Primor, anyway?"

"Maid Elexus, I have lands issued to me at the pleasure of the Regent. The lands are called Suata, and I have the responsibilities and authority over those lands and provide security for the Realm at the need of the Regency."

"And what is this Golden Scroll?"

Lord Boian smiled. "Your uncle brought an immense scroll made of the finest gold with him when he conquered these lands a couple of centuries back. It sits on a pedestal in the main meeting hall in Baemardis. A Cavalier of the Golden Scroll serves the Realm and has sworn fealty to the Crown and the Realm. I did such shortly after my majority when the Regent selected me as a cavalier."

"How did you get picked?"

"A combination of breeding and personal honor." I wanted to grin. He'd struck a pose as he said that.

"Well, you do pay well for sex," Ellie said with a smile.

He wilted slightly. "If we can keep that between us. It would gain neither of us anything worthwhile in the telling of that."

"I see no reason for anyone to know except maybe Uncle John or my parents. They'd get a hoot out of that."

Lord Boian paled as Ellie laughed. "Don't worry, Lord Boian. I probably won't, but they'll understand, especially since they know I dress that way most of the summer anyway. You won't be in trouble. Now, you said breeding, so you were born of noble birth, if I understand right. How did you distinguish your personal honor?"

"Battles against the Sobeck, Maid Elexus, and in defense of the Realm against an attempted coup, all as a squire before I reached my majority. I later earned my title and lands, defending the Realm against incursions from the North. While we gained lands there, the former Primor fell in battle, and I took over his lands instead of new ones there. And now I will distinguish myself by bringing a Lord and Maid of the Realm to the Regent. There you will prove your rank when you touch the Golden Scroll...and live."