Chapter 21 - Part 2

Nathan invited himself along as I went with Tadzi down to the Realm's kitchen, Oana and Teo trailing closely behind.

"Milords," Tadzi said with a flourish toward the work tables. "I have these for the feast. How would you like them prepared."

"I didn't think we had cattle." I was looking at four large sides of beef.

"Bison, Lord Kevin. There was a small herd grazing north of us. A contingent was able to bring back these." Tadzi smiled. "What is your pleasure?"

"Low and slow, Master Tadzi," Nathan said. "Low and slow."

Tadzi looked at me, and I laughed. "What he said."

Nathan had already wandered farther into the kitchen. "Kevin, come here."

As I got there, he fingered one of the strings of dried chiles hanging from a rack of dried herbs.

"Dude, this will make an awesome rub," he said to me, then turned to Tadzi. "Chiles, garlic, onion, and some of these other herbs, Master Chef Tadzi. Cut the roasts from the ribs, and save us some steaks for another day. Will that work?"

Tadzi was trying not to laugh. Nathan swayed on his feet, all drunken excitement. I probably didn't look much better, though I had at least washed my face before coming out of my chambers.

"Lord Nathan, I can do that. I already have wood burning down to coals. I will get the rub prepared, Milords."

"We can help," Oana said.

"Is your friend up to it, Maid Oana?"

Teo nodded, but looked dead on his feet, then looked back at me. "What other foods do you want for the feast, Lord Kevin?"

"I don't know," I responded, waving a hand in the air. "Veggies, fruit, dessert...wait. Lord Nathan," I said, trying to sound royal. "You now have official duties. Master Chef Tadzi will come to you for any food-related questions and approvals."

Nathan smiled, then started listing off different foods, and I wandered back up to my chambers. Sorina sat on my bed and smiled at me when I came in. I closed the door and took off my vest and shirt before sitting next to her and kissing her. I liked the returned kiss but stopped.

"That didn't feel like you're upset."

She'd pulled herself against me for a second before sagging. "That thing she stuck in my arm. Now I can't have your babies."

"For now. Ellie said it's reversible."

"You don't know about this?"

I shook my head. "Ellie told me about this just a little while ago."

"Oh. Your bride-to-be didn't get one."

"Bride-to-be?"

"Maid Sinense. Didn't they bring her to be your bride and Lord Nathan to be Ellie's Lord?"

"I sure hope not. Maid Sinense is not what I'm looking for. False fingernails, false eyelashes, and I don't even think her breasts are real or she has some serious support bra. Or some strange uni-breast."

Sorina seemed to relax slightly. "I don't know, but she didn't get that thing like the rest of us."

"She probably already has one. I don't know if we have those in our world, but hers probably does. I don't know."

"Ellie is happy Lord Nathan is here and that she got this implant thing. She's also unhappy it's her moon time now that he's here."

"She said that?" Had Ellie said I was oblivious earlier?

Sorina hesitated. "She didn't say she'd let him take her to bed, but she seemed to like the idea."

He was the one she texted when the helicopters showed up. Okay, maybe I am oblivious about something.

"And how are you feeling this evening?"

"I've been waiting for you to come back up from the kitchens. Stefan's guarding the door. What else do you need?"

Yeah, I'm oblivious.

I leaned in for a kiss and got one in return. I was working down her neck when she untied my pants.