Chapter 22 - Part 1

"Why did you do that?"

I'd gone into my chambers with Sinense following before she asked that. I thought it would've been obvious, but apparently not to her.

"I turned him over to the town's women because he killed their husbands, sisters, brothers, and children. He injured a shitload more, so it seemed fitting that they decide what happens to him. Much more fitting than me or a bunch of nobles."

"But he's Realm or something like that." She waved her hands like she was grasping for the right word. I didn't know the right word and didn't care right now.

"He gave that up when he and the others attacked us. And don't forget that they pulled him out of prison for this job. There must've been some reason he was locked up. They didn't like him either."

"But they're common. They have—"

"You're right. They were too far above him. I should've run him through and left him for the vultures. They have to eat, too. But I'm sure the women will be much more creative in his punishment than I ever could be."

She stared at me and put her hand to her mouth.

"There's something we can agree on," I said with a dry laugh. "I wanted to give them control over what happened. Back home, we call that empowerment. What do they call it where you live?"

She shook her head, then dropped her voice. "I don't know. I don't know what's going on here. I don't know why I'm here. I don't understand what went on last night."

"Last night?"

"It's like now. I'm alone in here with you. I shouldn't be, but you haven't told me to leave."

"That is something in common between your land and here. They don't think it's proper for an unmarried man and woman to be alone together here either. The thing is, it's not that way where Ellie and I come from, but a woman is worth a lot more than their status as a wife back home, too. That's why I don't particularly care that you're here, and since you're here, I have a few questions."

"What?" Alarm colored her voice.

"Why didn't you wear your armor?"

"How do you know?"

"You have cactus spines in your legs and probably elsewhere." I glanced down at the dirty, somewhat frayed hem of her skirt.

"I still hurt from riding that beast. The armor didn't help."

"Yeah, I guess it wouldn't." I brought my eyes back to her face. "Also, what's with your breasts? They look weird."

For a moment, I thought she would slap me or something. I continued to look her in the eye while so many things went across her face.

"It's a shield...to hide my breasts from view."

"Really." That's all I could think to say.

"I was wearing another around my waist to hide my figure there, too. The weapons belt would fit, and I couldn't ride the horse, so Lady Lauretti made me take it off and leave it behind."

"So...like a hoop skirt?" I wasn't sure I understood this.

She puzzled over that a moment, then said, "I guess. It held my dress out and away from my body all around. I feel strange without it. All the Ladies I came with wore different skirts, where one went down each leg. Maids Elexus, Sorina, and Mara wear those, too."

"It makes riding easier," I said. "Your shield isn't working here. You're the only one wearing one, people don't know that it's a shield, and they're looking at it and thinking it's your breasts. You need to take it off."

She froze. Her shoulders drooped as she dropped her eyes. "Now?" It came out barely more than a whisper.

"No," I said, maybe louder than I should have since she jumped. "Go to your rooms and get Mara to help you with that. She can help get the cactus spines out, your nails trimmed, and whatever else needs to be cleaned up."

Sinense held her hands up, looked at her nails, nodded, and left. I took off my vest, shirt, and top armor to at least sponge off when I saw Gabriel standing at the door.

"Come in." This had already been a long day, and it wasn't even lunchtime. He went to one knee as he came up to me. I wanted to yell at him to quit it, but I'd only be taking everything out on him when I was sure that was what he was supposed to do.

Instead, I gestured for him to get up. "What's on your mind."

"Is that man dead?"

"Probably not yet, but he's wishing he was."

He held his breath a moment before continuing. "You thought he was so low that the women should be the ones to kill him?"

I shook my head. "He isn't Realm, but in some ways, he's similar to that, and I don't care. They deserved to kill the one who killed and hurt their families. It's a different way of thinking, isn't it?"

He nodded.

"Do you want to be my squire?"

"Yes, Milord."

"Is it you saying that or Lord Tiber?"

I thought he'd stopped breathing entirely as long as he held his breath, then, finally, he spoke. "I thought I was going to die today, Milord. I was going to fight, and I can't fight very well, so I'd die."

"We need to teach you to fight."

"Master Stefan should be your squire."

"He's not old enough."

"He killed a Sobeck."

"With Adrian's help, but yes, he did, and lost part of his ear while doing it."

"I don't think I could have."

"Did he tell you that?"

"No," and he shook his head. "Maid Oana told me he did that and that Maid Sorina killed one without help."

"Also true."

"Is that why you like Maid Sorina?"

I chuckled. "You saw her come in last night?"

He nodded.

"That's part of it, but I liked her even before that happened, and I like her even more now. But back to what you said earlier. If we go out like that again, will you go?"

"Yes, Milord."

"Even if you know we'll be fighting."

He swallowed and nodded. "Yes, Milord."

"And it's just you and me, and you're guarding my back."

"Yes, Milord." His hands shook, but his voice was stronger this time.

"I can't ask for more, Master Gabriel. You're my squire. Now we need to get you trained up. Sir Lucian will do most of that, and Stefan will join in. We'll grab practice swords this afternoon and get started. Go find me another shirt while I clean up."