Chapter 20 - Part 1

The smell.

I pushed away as I woke...heard something plop on the floor.

"Uncle Kevin!" Oana's head popped up above the bed.

"You stink," I croaked.

"They held me by my ankles while I cleaned out the garbage chute," she said proudly. "I snuck out after everyone went to sleep. It was fun."

"Yeah, well, go take a bath. Wash those clothes while you're in there, then make sure the tub is cleaned out afterward."

"Okay." She dashed over to the tub and started filling it. I still hadn't found the source of the plumbed hot and cold water, but it could wait until sometime later...much later.

"Here, I'll help." Sorina slid out of bed and helped Oana out of her clothes.

I slipped out of bed, slid my pants back on, and then brought Sorina her chemise.

Oana grinned at us. "You're together," she said with a laugh.

"Yep, so that means the bed's taken."

Her face fell. "What if I have bad dreams?"

"We're just sleeping, Kevin," Sorina said. "I'll bundle her in a towel, and she can sleep between us."

I groaned. "This is starting to sound like parenthood." Seriously...second time together...actually, first night together, and this?

"I'll wash the clothes once I get her out and dry. It'll only take a few minutes."

I kissed her, then crawled back into bed. I'd about dozed off when I felt a damp towel against my back and a thin arm across my side.

"Uncle Kevin, I'm glad you found me." I breathed a long slow sigh as warmth flowed into me.