Chapter 9 - Part 1

Things were quiet as we traveled to Suata, Lord Boian's manor, and the adjacent village. The stink of the burnt grass left us after the first mile when we were back into unburned natural land, though it meant we couldn't see as far out.

We traveled with two contingents, half of the forces from Floresca. The first was led by Boian's Cavalier and two others on horseback. The other eight were lightly armored foot soldiers carrying spears not too unlike the ones of the Sobecks, though these had bronze tips instead of stone. The horsemen also carried long spears with banners attached announcing to anyone who saw that the Lord Boian of Suata was traveling with his retinue.

He wanted to have a Realm banner made, but I talked him out of that, saying that we'd prefer to travel incognito for this leg of the journey. He rode behind his Cavalier and I behind him. Adrian walked to my left and Stefan to my right, with Sir Silva on horseback behind me. Four foot soldiers flanked us on either side.

A similar contingent guarded the women, Ellie riding astride with Oana behind the Cavalier. Sorina and Mara walked to her right and left, and Lady Ramona rode sidesaddle behind her.

There had been no signs of the Sobecks at Dubma or the other two villages. When Boian said we were about a mile away. I breathed easier.

A covey of quail flushed a hundred feet ahead of us.

We halted, looking to see what caused the birds to fly, when several Sobecks stood. By the time they all stood, there were over a dozen of them, three with axes, the rest with spears.

"Men forward," came the call. "Prepare to repel the charge."

The first contingent created a wedge, spears pointed forward.

"Milord, shall I bring forth the second contingent?"

"No," Boian replied. "That's a feint. Second contingent, prepare for attacks from the flanks."

Horse hooves sounded, Ellie riding around the contingent's wedge, an arrow already nocked. She began firing at the ones ahead of us when wolfmen rose up from the grasses to our right rear and charged.

I wasn't the archer or horseperson that Ellie was, but I could try. I wheeled my horse around, almost knocking Stefan down until I had a clear view. They'd started closer than the others. I managed three shots, two of which hit before they were on us. I dropped the bow in favor of my rapier. I felt exposed on the horse, but it was supposed to be the superior position to fight from.

Reining the horse right, I kicked his flanks and moved to engage the end Sobeck. I wasn't sure if I was glad he carried an axe instead of a spear, but I was going to find out.

He hesitated, seeming unsure what to do with almost a half-ton of horse and rider coming at him, backstepping right as my horse shied left. My planned body shot became a stretched arm shot, but it connected, slicing in just above the elbow. I wheeled right, a spear sailing just in front of us. He hefted his axe one-handed, my attack leaving his wounded arm dangling. Other Sobecks were engaging the rear contingent as I came back onto my opponent. He swung this time, and I dove at him, lunging for his neck as I kicked free of the spurs.

It was the edge of the blade rather than the point that sliced his neck, but it went deep as I bowled him over. Something hit my thigh as I hit the ground, rolled back to my feet, and drew my dagger in my left hand. Blood sprayed from his neck.

I turned to the battle. Another charged me, no weapons but with claws and fangs. He took an arm cut but knocked my rapier aside. I dropped low, thrusting into his groin as his knee hit my shoulder.

Again I rolled, trying to find purchase to stand. The dagger was gone, but I still had the long blade. He twisted to get up, so I threw myself at him sword-tip first, driving it under his ribs and deep up his body. A clawed hand reached for me as I pulled back, then fell to the ground.