Chapter 15 - Part 5

They'd dropped his vest away from the large granite slab used as a table, but with him laid on top, it looked like an altar. It didn't help that Filip and Adrian had just pulled his pants down to his boots. The boots and pants might look local, but the boxer briefs were modern. Around here, it was loin cloth or commando. He was stirring again, so Filip and Adrian each took a wrist.

My rapier's basket hilt was sturdy, that's for sure. It'd cut into his forehead but didn't bend at all. His eyes opened slowly, and he seemed to come to after a few seconds.

He tried to move his arms, then looked around, realizing they were held. After a moment of panic, then said, "So, I'm your prisoner." He seemed a little too satisfied with his situation. I needed to get him off balance.

"I have a few questions."

"Of course you do, mate. I would, too, in your position."

"About that, mate. You're a Kiwi?"

"I'm no bloody Kiwi, you Seppo. I'm Aussie."

"So what are you doing here, with your buddies? Just a joyride to blow off some steam?"

"You got me rooted here, so whataya think?"

"Sent on a mission to off the nobility here. That's what I think."

"That's fair dinkum. But there wasn't supposed to be nobody like us here. Walk in, terror the place. Ride back out, get picked up, and back at Perth to get rotten. What you doin' here?"

"Not a clue."

"Is this as far from Texas as it is from Perth?"

"Farther, it seems, but who sent you?"

"You don't know?"

"Again, not a clue. I don't know anyone down under." I knew relatives in the US, Europe, and South America. We'd been to Australia but hadn't met any relatives there. That didn't make it definite, but seemed to lessen that, anyway.

"Hmmm...and I don't know anybody from Texas, which is a little strange now that you mention it. Are we even from the same worlds, or are they just really similar?"

I shrugged. "You just get hired out to come to backwater worlds and assassinate the local leaders?"

"Nope, but it sounded fun and not too dangerous. Who'da thunk this place was already claimed? We were going to make it over with us in charge. Now even that might not happen. How many of you are here, anyway?"

"Why do you care?"

"I really shouldn't, I guess, since you'll kill me when I quit talkin'. Guess that's it. I keep talkin'...I stay alive."

"I can lock you up. I'm not into cold blood."

"That's so kind of you, mate, but your mates here look like they got different ideas. Why else is there a breeze on my willy?"

"So you know not to try anything stupid. They won't kill you without my orders."

"You're the standover man here? I like you, and under other circumstances, we could toss down a few rounds."

"Like not killing my people?"

"Something like that." He sighed. "Look, if they'd known this place was taken, they wouldn't have...I mean...they woulda looked elsewhere. You ain't our mob. Ours don't leave prisoners." He spoke faster now. "Fly on the wall. You need to rack off now, quick-like, or you're rooted, too."

I stared at him, trying to make sense of it all, when I saw something move in the air. A large horsefly or—

I turned, grabbing Adrian. Rooted meant dead—buried. I tripped on his feet, pulling him down, trying to at least fall behind the protection of the granite. Adrian, too.

"Run," I yelled to Filip as I fell.

A loud boom.

My legs pulled away.

Pressure.