Chapter 20 - Part 4

I opened the doors to my chambers to a fight, though it appeared rather one-sided.

Stefan straddled Gabriel, throwing determined punches into his face while Radu kicked his older brother's thigh. Gabriel, for his part, bucked ineffectively and tried to cover his face with only a bit more success than his bucking. Sir Lucian leaned against the wall watching the melee, and gave me a grin when I entered.

"What's happening?" I tried to make it sound casual, but all the action froze like I'd paused a video, then Radu backed away as Stefan got up and bowed to me.

"Get your butt up, Gabriel," Lucian commanded as he stood straight. "Lord Kevin wants to know what happened."

"He hit me," Gabriel said as he pulled himself up to a stooped standing position.

Lucian sniggered. "That's obvious. Lord Kevin isn't stupid, you know. Stand up straight, Master Gabriel. You're not showing yourself well for your Lord. Look at us."

Radu gave a small smile while Stefan mostly held one back, flexing his hands. Gabriel mostly straightened, showing his face. Blood ran from his nose, dripping off his chin, and tears ran down his cheeks. Blood trickled from a couple of cuts on his face, and from the redness across his face, he'd have bruises, especially on his left eye and cheek. That would be swollen by evening.

"So," I began, looking at all three of them, and their heads dropped slightly. "What started all of this?"

"Gabriel said Stefan was stupid and that he wasn't really a Master now," Rafu shouted, then looked embarrassed.

Lucian nodded in agreement. "Master Gabriel didn't stand a chance after he said that. It was a thing of beauty, what Stefan did there. Nobody stupid could take someone apart like that."

"A-Adrian t-t-taught me, M-M-Milor-r-rd," Stefan said. "A-Am I st-st-still ge-gen-gentry? St-still M-Master St-Steph-phan?" His voice wavered with that.

That was the question, wasn't it? His cavalier dad was dead, as was Sir Florin, the landed cavalier who could directly answer for him. However, he was mine, and whatever I said was law.

"You're my page, so of course, you are still Master Stephan. Those who lost parents at Floresca Hall or elsewhere keep their heritage. That is not in question."

Tears leaked from Stefan's eyes as he bowed low. "S-Sorina and M-M-Mara, t-too?"

"Of course." I looked at Gabriel. "I think that answers those questions. Stefan has problems speaking, but he isn't stupid and definitely retains his rank despite losing his father in battle. Do you have any more questions, Master Gabriel?"

"No, Milord."

"In that case, shake Stefan's hand and tell him you're sorry."

Gabriel's eyes widened slightly, and I could see where the swelling was already starting. He turned and stuck his hand out slightly to Stefan.

"I'm sorry," he said softly.

Stefan stepped up, took his hand, and took a few slow breaths as he stared into Gabriel's eyes. "I'm not," he said quickly, then pumped the older boy's hand three times before letting it go.

"Gabriel," I said. "Use my chambers and get cleaned up. Stefan, go help him get that bloody nose stopped."

They both bowed, Gabriel looking a little paler, then Stefan followed Gabriel into my chamber.

Radu made to follow them, but I waved him back. "Go up on the dome and wait until you see Lady Lauretti's entourage coming, then come back and let me know."

He bowed and dashed out the door, and I faced Sir Lucian.

"You weren't stopping that."

"Not unless it got out of hand. Stefan controlled his anger and knocked Gabriel down a peg or two. Gabriel's been lording his dad's position over Stefan and that he's the premier squire in the country."

"If Stefan were older, I would've given him that position."

"I can see why. Do you really think you can get him to talk better?"

"You saw that at the last? If he can remember to do that, it will help a lot. Ellie and I have a friend back home, and he's lost most of his stutter over the years, so Stefan can, too." I smiled at him. "If Gabriel has the top squire position, that means you're the top valet."

"I haven't forgotten that, Milord," Lucian said with a bow and flourish. "I hope to earn this position and provide my services for a lot longer time than my predecessors. After all, I am your third valet."