Confessions and Coffee

JAKE"S POV:

"Where shall we begin?" I asked her.

We haven't talked much about important things. It is time to do so, but I want it to be right and I don't want to leave her side. I admit I am in a daze because I just kissed her cheek. I couldn't resist. I hope that I didn't cross a line that I shouldn't have. Being with her in person is so much different from the way that we have related to each other in the past. It is not that I am nervous, but I am not used to holding her in my arms or breathing her in, or loving her more with every second we spend together. I hope I never get used to it. I don't want to take this love or her for granted. I realize truly what a perfect match we are, at the very least, what a perfect match she is for me. I can never do enough to deserve her.

She isn't answering my question and it makes me wonder.

"Are you ok?" I ask, "I thought I was going to answer some of those questions of yours."

"I'm good," she answers. "Just... happy... very happy. Thank you for all of this. For finding me and taking care of me and for just being the man I know you are."

I pause.

I don't know what to say at this moment. My arms wrap around her waist a little tighter and I hold her for a while. "Thanks for coming and meeting me here," I say. I hope she can hear the words of my heart and how much this moment means to me.

" Ok, let's start at the fire." She breaks the spell. " I know you told me that you were safe, but you never told me the story of your escape. First, however, I need to move, this position is too distracting and I need to look at your handsome face while you talk to me."

I look down, I know my cheeks are red. I am not used to this attention.

She is right, as usual. We need to move. I don't want her to leave my arms, but this isn't very conducive to serious talking. I give her a tighter squeeze and kiss her cheek another time before letting her go.

She moves out of my lap, and although she didn't move far, the comfort and peace are instantly missed. She leans against one arm of the couch, and I lean against the other. Our legs mingle under the blanket.

"Are you in a good place to talk? Can you see my face?" I ask, hoping that she feels as comfortable as I do.

"I am. I love your eyes which I can clearly see. I want to hear all about you, I want to know all of your stories."

"I want you to know all of them. I want, also, to know all of yours." I grab her leg and rest my hand on it and draw small circles with my fingers.

"I was actually saved from the fire by Alan Bloomgate, our dear inspector."

"Alan? Really? That is not at all what I thought I would hear. How? Why?"

"Patience, love." I wink at her.

She smiles back and pretends to zip her lips.

"So, I think I need to start way back in order for you to understand my story and why I now believe in fate. Why I believe that we were meant to be long before I knew you."

I take a deep breath and begin.

"My mom was from a poor family, but she was brilliant. She had to work two after-school jobs to keep the family afloat, but she did it and finished at the top of her class. She even received a scholarship to go to college. One day, as she was studying in the library, a man walked in and sat down next to her. They started talking, one thing led to another and they fell in love. Mom would never tell me who my dad was, but she said that she loved him from the moment she met him, she loved the way he talked, and how his words could inspire her to work harder and to believe in herself. She told me that she wasn't looking for love but it crashed into her life and made her a stronger person. She had been dating him for a while when he invited her to meet his family. They were very wealthy and did not approve of mom because she had no classic upbringing. They couldn't see how wonderful my mom was. She was the greatest woman I ever knew until I met you. "