more good friends and some good advice

Mahri's POV:

I am still drying my hair when I hear the door open. Of course, Jessy has a key to my place so she makes her way into the kitchen while I finish dressing.

I emerge from the bedroom and see two friendly faces instead of one.

"She said she'd bring the chocolate, but if you are as bad as she said you sounded, I figured you would need this too," Dan states as he slams a bottle of Jack Daniels on the counter.

Jessy mouths I'm sorry. I shrug my shoulders. It's fine. I love Dan and I really don't care if he is here.

I really don't care about much now that I've thrown Jake away. I hope this attitude changes soon.

"So," Jessy begins, "I brought the chocolate ice cream, chocolate sprinkles, chocolate sauce, chocolate pretzels, M&M's, and candy bars among other things. Will this be enough?" She is unloading a bag that seems to have no bottom.

I chuckle, despite the state of my heart, and nod. She finds me and gives me a great big hug. I love her in ways that I can't describe. She is my most faithful friend and my greatest confidant.

"Go. Sit." She shoves me towards the couch as she starts scooping ice cream. From the number of toppings that she adds, I am sure I look terrible.

Jessy hands me the ice cream and plops down on the couch on one side of me. Dan on the other. I can't feel so bad while they are here. In fact, this is the warmest I have felt since Jake left. Dan shifts toward me and I put my head on his shoulder.

"So, what's going on Mahri?"

"Well, Jake came to town. He has secured his freedom."

"Then why are you sad? Do you still want to be with him?" Jessy questions.

Before I can answer, Dan sits up abruptly. "What did he do to you? Can I beat him up? Hackerman's head is going to roll."

"Slow down, Danny Boy." My defenses are up. I know how Dan feels about Jake. "He didn't do anything to me. I am the one to blame for my sadness."

"I don't believe it. He is trouble." Dan's jaw is set. "What other reason would you have for crying?"

"He isn't trouble. He is a perfect gentleman and a tremendous person. He always takes care of me. I am just...broken."

Jessy comes and holds my hand. "Mahri, you are wonderful. There is not a thing wrong with you. Did he say there was?"

Dan interjects, "If he did, that is enough of a reason for me to..."

"Tell me what happened and we can figure this out. I'm not going anywhere until then." Jessy states as she sits back next to me on the couch.

With Jessy on one side and Dan on the other, I begin to tell the story of Jake's text message and the two days that we spent together.

Despite Dan's groans whenever I mention hugging or kissing or how lovely he is, he sits through it all, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. I want to laugh. Dan's obvious awkwardness and telling these good stories about Jake is actually putting a smile on my face. This is something I didn't think I would feel for quite a while.

Suddenly, Dan jumps up. This is just too... I don't need to hear this. I'm sure hackerman had his mouth all over you, but I don't need to..."

"Dan, you were the one who wanted to come." Jessy gives him a stern look. "If you don't want to hear it, you can leave. If you stay, you are going to hear all of the details, because I need them." She spoke to him firmly and because Dan is in love with her, he backed down. I smirked.