Day to Night

Jakes POV:

Jakes POV:

I have been watching her with Betty and Phil. The conversation is easy for her. Her laughter fills my ears and melts my heart. I watch as the wind rushes through the loose strands of hair, how the same crisp air brings with it her scent, one of vanilla and nutmeg, lilies, and cinnamon. The sky is a bright blue, and the clouds dotting the sky create magical objects and visual delights. The day is as close to perfect as any that I have had.

Betty and Mahri act as if they've known each other for years. I love that the two most important women in my life care about each other. Right now, they are trying to make thanksgiving wreaths. Phil is trying and I admire him for the attempt, but he is terrible. The best way that I can describe his wreath is that it looks like a kindergartener made it and a car ran over it in the parking lot. I smirk at the fact that he did such a poor job. They are teasing him. I like that part of the day too.  He isn't a bad guy and I am learning to appreciate him more and more.

He takes their ribbing well, I must admit. He also participated in a craft that he knew he would fail at. I didn't take the risk. Phil has also been acting like a gentleman toward the ladies. Mahri must have set some ground rules. He hasn't flirted with her once. Maybe we can be friends after all.

She looks over at me and signals for my return. I had gone to get us all coffee, but it was really just an excuse to miss craft time.She knew it and allowed me the break I needed.  There are a lot of people here, a lot of noise.  As I walk toward the booth, I see a bright smile from Mahri and the world quiets around me I feel calm I her presence. . I wrap my arms around her from behind and place my chin on her shoulder, lightly kissing her cheek in the process. She leans back into me and enjoys the hug. 

I whisper in her ear, "What about cupcake?  pumpkin?  dosnickerdoodle?"

"NO," she answers back.  turning around she punches me in the arm and then laughs, "Are you purposely finding the worst ones?"

I wink at her, "I don't know, honey buns, what do you think?"  She laughs and I relish the sound.

"Smooth, man," Phil mocks me.

"He is smoother than you are," Betty states in a flirtatious challenge.

Phil quietly smirks and winks at her. "Trust me, you will see smooth when the time is right." 

Betty looks flustered. With a cheesy line like that? What has become of her? I roll my eyes and Betty sends me a death glare. Quickly, I refocus my attention on the beautiful woman in my arms.

We have had coffee, made a craft, had coffee again, picked out our pumpkins, and set a date to carve them. Mahri made apple cider which she drank while we shared an apple fritter and a pumpkin scone, She realized that she didn't like apple cider and a had coffee to wash it down, Betty and Phil have played a fine game of darts, we have all gone gone shopping, Mahri insisted that I buy a beanie that matches my eyes and if I do she will make it worth my while.  Being here with her makes it worth my while, she has already fulfilled her promise. Usually, I would be more than ready to go home and disconnect, but I was with her and every moment was new and fun. "What's next?" I ask looking directly into her eyes even though I am speaking to all of them.