Surprises

MC's POV:

I have to be ready to answer his questions, ready for this love, ready for this life, because the one thing I am not ready for is losing either of those things.

I nod softly, my head resting on his shoulder.  I have to concentrate to ignore the feeling of his warm breath on my flushed skin.  My brain knows that I should move, but I refuse to do so.  I have waited too long to be here in this very spot.

"Question one," he begins,  "This one is important to your future. What are your favorite flowers?"

"Peonies" I answer quickly.

"Two.... favorite smell"

"You," I blush, "...and the rain, coconut sunscreen, the ocean, orange blossoms. Oh, and coffee."

"That is a lot of smells.  I have a smell?" He asks as if no one has ever mentioned that idea to hm before.  That is a shame.

"Yes, You smell like oak, and smoke from the fire.  You smell a little spicy, but the good kind like cloves or cinnamon and you smell like you, just something unique.  I have never smelled it before. I like it... very much."  Then as if to reiterate my idea I turn my head, lean closer to him and take in a deep breath. "You smell like everything that is good and a man and my Jake."

I feel his cheeks turning red.  " No flirting from you.  These are serious get to know you questions,"  He repeats my words from earlier with a slight smile, pauses and then returns to the game. I smile inwardly that he is so shy and so witty, so insecure and so confident.

"Three... what is your favorite food?"

"Chinese food." I say with a wink, "...seriously though, it is Chinese food and I am not selective. I love it all.  I am a good eater and get fussy when it is time to eat."

" I will remember that and try not to be sensitive in those moments," he is serious and amused at once.  A smirk enters the corner of his mouth.  

"Four...do you have any siblings?"

"Yes and no. It's hard to answer and a bit of a long story. Can I tell you later?" I look down. This is a difficult subject for me and a question that I was hoping to avoid for now.

"Of course, free pass. Tell me when you feel able." He put my hands in his and squeezes them. I intertwine our fingers and let out a sign of relief.  He pulls my hand to his lips and gently places a kiss there.

His voice is low as if he is thinking of things other than the next question he is going to ask.

"Five...do you have a hobby?"

"Besides obsessing over this man I know?" I sneak a sideways glance. " I like artsy stuff. Painting and crafty things."

His eyes perk up. "You will have to paint something for me sometime. I would love to see the world through your eyes. My mom was an artist as well. But, this man you obsess over, does he treat you well?"

"He does. He is thoughtful and sweet and attentive. I feel safe when I'm with him. He isn't too hard on the eyes either."

I feel his breath on my ear, his voice has returned to a low rumble at the base of his throat. It is a smooth as caramel.  "He must love taking care of someone as incredible as you."I get the shivers again. He grabs the blanket and covers me up. He has no idea that the shivers come from his proximity and his words in my ear and has absolutely nothing to do with the temperature of the room.

"Six...do you have any pets?"

"Not at the moment. I used to have a dog, Buck, he was enormous. He was truly my best friend. I rescued him and he always seemed so grateful. He was always getting into trouble. He died two years ago."