First Date

It has been a week since the incident and since our talk.  During that time, the air cooled a bit.  It has that crisp feeling of autumn.  You can almost smell the apples ripening on the trees and the cinnamon in the air.  The sky is blue, bright like his eyes, and the leaves are changing colors as if the creator himself has taken out his paintbrush and colored the Earth. The owls hoot their music at night and the sun peeks out its glorious head in the morning.  People are friendlier and love fills the air.  I can only see happiness and joy wherever I go.

I am, for once, blissfully happy and, for once I am not going to overanalyze our relationship. I will try my best to take the advice of Betty and Jessy and try to enjoy the time that we have together.  Jake and I are in love and he is free. We now get to live in that freedom. It is more than I could have dreamed of.

We haven't spent all of our time together. He has been true to his word and he is giving me space and time to learn to be with him. We have called and texted every day. We take walks over the phone, talking while we walk. It may seem odd, but we are getting to know each other better. Jake has coffee delivered to my door every morning. I made him a running playlist. We do couple things.  Well, couples that love each other from afar.

We haven't been on a date or seen each other since the night at the bar. Jake assured me he is feeling better and the bruising isn't as bad as he thought it would be. I think he's been hiding out until he looks a little better. He isn't ain, but he doesn't;t like his weakness to be on display.  It is hard enough for him to be around people.  He is learning, but I know that it isn't his favorite activity.

Today is the day though. We get to go on a real date.  He is going to pick me up and we will hold hands and do couple things in person. 

We are going to our town's autumn festival. It is a big event. The whole town turns up. I have been trying to pump him up for the glorious day by convincing him that if he is nervous or uncomfortable can hold my hand or we can leave.  I let him know that we will drink pumpkin-flavored coffee and eat pumpkin-flavored desserts, Jake has a bit of a sweet tooth. I also mentioned that he can escape the craft booths anytime that he wants. There are always events happening at the fair like three-legged races, a petting farm, and a turkey race. But at night, there are adult-only activities. The town has a pumpkin cider that is local to the area which is served in the arena where there is also a live band with a dance floor. The town offers moonlit hayrides for the adults. Even though it is only September, they also let things get a little spooky. People dress as monsters and try to scare the attendees and the decorations take on an eerie glow, but my favorite thing, the thing I have never been able to do, is the haunted house. I hate to be scared, but I have Jake and I trust him. He promised that he would hold my hand and never let go. He promised to keep me from chickening out.

I love my life of firsts with him. There are many firsts in general and there are many firsts that we haven't done with each other. We will get to those later, but tonight we get to share a first. It is his first haunted house too.

He is about to pick me up in his fancy car. I check in the mirror one last time. I am wearing my hair in two twin braids landing in the middle of my back. My sweater is a deep navy and my jeans fit perfectly. I zip up my tall boots and am ready, finally ready, to meet him. This is the first time that I have been able to be excited about hanging out with him, the first time I have gotten dressed wondering if he will like what I am wearing. I'm oddly nervous. I begin to question my hair and my sweater. I put on an extra coat of lipgloss and my phone dings with a message.

Jake: Hey Mahri, a quick question...

Jake: ok, two quick questions.

Mahri: Ask away.