Joy....

Paige piles the pressure on Severide on the stand...

And Stella can't sleep while Kelly is at work so they decide she needs his help...

***************

When the grand dame of fashion Coco Chanel had said that "perfume is the invisble, unforgettable accessory that announces your arrival and prolongs your departure,' Paige Blake must have been listening because as she had intended, both men and women's heads craned towards her. The sharp click clack of high heels on wood could be heard before she had even walked into the court room and anyone who was sitting in her vicinity would have had a waft of her exclusive aptly named perfume by Jean Patou 'Joy' as she sailed past.

Stella couldn't help but glance towards Kelly, but he was engaged in conversation with the chief on the other side of him and hadn't paid any attention to the defence attorney's entrance.
Today both the prosecution and defence would start their direct exam and cross examination of witnesses. Hailey Upton and Hank Voight were appearing for the State and had both met up for a coffee with Kelly and her earlier. They were in no doubt that Starmer would be going away for a long time but were wary of the ruthless reputation of the defences law firm. If you were cynical you would believe that the pro bono case had publicity benefits that were worth the legal hours spent on this.

Starmer sat stock still in his seat, his back rigid apart from the ocassional response to his defence team. It was galling to see Paige smile at him reassuringly, like he was her pet dog. Stella almost expected her to pat him on the head any second.

On the other side, the prosecution attorney and his team sat mulling through files, huddling together to share some pertinent piece of information. It was like watching a drama unfold but unfortunately for Stella she was one of the players.

The direct examination of Upton and Voight was fairly standard. Clear and concise questions relevant to the investigation and subsequent kidnapping. But then came the cross exam and Paige Blake was determined to use every leading question she could.

The presiding judge was a grey haired, austere older man with bushy brows and a thousand court cases etched in the lines of his face and quickly showed signs that he wouldn't be easily taken in by the glamour or the defence dramatics and had already rebuked Starmer's attorney when she had questioned Upton's impartiality due to her frequent working interaction and social connection to firehouse 51.

"Unless you have a specific question, Miss Blake.... Move on."

"I'm merely pointing out, Judge, that detective Upton's viewpoint today could be a little biased."

"Yes, you've implied that already. So let's move on, shall we." Judge Klein was not taking any prisoners. He didnt even look up from scribbling on his note pad.

And Hank Voight was equally unfazed by the defence's hard line of questioning.

"Seargent Voight. Is it usual for a fire rescue team to be authorised to go into a situation outside of state lines?"

"What do you mean?" Hank Voight's hard stare was uncompromising.

"It's not a difficult question, Seargent. Firehouse 51 had a team enter a sutuation in Milwaukee. Is it usual for a fire service team to be authorised to enter a scene outside of state lines.... especially one that does not involve any type of fire rescue?"

"Well that depends on if someone's about to be starved or
......... beaten to death. What do You think Miss Prosecutor?"

Someone tittered in the court. Paige smiled sweetly, arching her perfect brows. "I'm not in the witness box , Seargent Voight, that is why I am asking the questions and you're here to answer them ." Voight's face did not betray a single emotion. Anyone less than Paige might have wilted under his glacial regard. "Let me repeat my question for you. Again. Should firehouse 51, from Chicago, Illinois, have been authorised to enter a potential hostile situation in Milwaukee, Ohio?"