ZERO. (prologue)

CHERRY FLAVOURED | THE PROLOUGE
(NEVERMORE ACADEMY...)
"She was everything real in a world of make-believe. "

― Atticus Poetry,

    Red-lipped, blonde-haired Adelaide Weems would be considered odd

    Red-lipped, blonde-haired Adelaide Weems would be considered odd. The outcast that didn't belong, until she started school at Nevermore Academy. There she was surrounded by kids just like her and even though they all had differences and different abilities and specialties, there was a school for them.

"Adelaide, you can't walk around as someone else, what have I told you about that?" Larissa, Adelaide's mother, scolded as she looked at the tall brunette in front of her, closely resembling a character Larissa was sure she had seen on something Adelaide watched.

The fourteen-year-old girl groaned and changed back from the form she chose, shrinking in size back down to her five-foot-four height and back to her body. She stared up into her mothers glaring eyes and sighed.

"fine" She huffed, buttoning up the blazer she grabbed from the hanger. "I'll see you tonight, please behave" Adelaide nodded at her mother's words and reciprocated the hug the taller woman initiated.

Adelaide stood in the dorm room and looked around at its emptiness. Her mother being principal of the academy had some perks and it seemed that at least for now, that came with a single dorm and not a shared one.

Adelaide had been expelled from her previous school and while her mother always wanted her to attend Nevermore, her father didn't like the idea and opted for more public schooling.

Flooding the school halls so she and her classmates could have a large slip-and-slide paired with a swimming pool didn't go over well with the faculty, for some reason.

Adelaide had two abilities both inherited respectfully from each parent, shapeshifting and the ability to manipulate the elements. She had limitations though, limitations her father believed came from the fact she was only half of each of her parents.

She couldn't create the elements out of thin air, they had to be isolated such as a glass of water, a puddle, or a lit candle. There had to be an existing breeze to manipulate any air or wind. And most annoyingly, any manipulation of the earth never really worked for her.

Flooding the school hallway came from a broken and leaky water fountain.

Books were piled in the girl's arms as she tried to give her room some personality. She was almost late to class when she finally decided to look down at the time and see it was already quarter to.

"shit" The girl cursed under her breath, grabbing her bag and racing out of her room. The school was large enough, and she was out of breath when she rounded the corner to her class.

"Okay, I think that's all of us" The teacher announced at the front of the class and Adelaide sighed, sinking into a desk by the back. "oh, sorry. Now it's all of us" The teacher corrected herself and Adelaide turned to see a tall boy walk in.

He sauntered over to the last desk, right next to Adelaide and slid in. "Okay, let's start with the overview for the semester" Adelaide turned her attention to the boy next to her to find he was already looking at her. She looked back to the front and fought the urge all of the class to look back over.

Two years later, she swore to everyone she hated his guts.

II

okay so i did it, i caved and wrote a
wednesday book. I make no promises
that it will be any good but here it is