THIRTEEN. (the poe cup)

CHERRY FLAVOURED | CHAPTER THIRTEEN
(LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?...)
"Who has not, a hundred times, found himself committing a vile or a silly action for no other reason than because he knows he should not?"

― Edgar Allan Poe, The Black Cat

 "wow, what are you wearing?" Ajax let out from beside me with a laugh

"wow, what are you wearing?" Ajax let out from beside me with a laugh. I glared at the boy, taking in his clown outfit as I bit back my own laugh.

"have you looked at yourself in the mirror?" I scoffed before looking back out to where all the boats were.

"guess this kitty does have claws" Ajax blew his breath from his mouth and I scoffed. The cat suit tight and clinging to my body causing an annoyance to run through my veins.

"says the idiot dressed as himself" I shot back and the boy looked down, it took a second before he too scoffed and I laughed to myself.

"You should just congratulate me now Ajax" I hummed as we both moved toward where our boats were.

"Never in a million years" He shot back and I shrugged. "won't have to wait that long, it shouldn't take more than an hour" I sent the boy a wave as I got into my team's boat and Enid looked back at me.

"are we sure this is all going to work?"

"more than sure," I told her and she nodded, turning back to the front. I looked down at the floor of the boat and my eyes landed on Thing, the disembodied hand. I swallowed and looked away, it just freaked me out.

I watched as Enid turned to the side and looked over to Ajax. I furrowed my brows slightly and then smiled to myself. When I looked over at the boy's boat my eyes found Xavier.

I glared at him and he winked, making me roll my eyes and turn back my focus to the boat and race that was about to happen.

"what do we have here? The runt of the litter?" Bianca's voice caught my attention and I looked over, the girl glaring at Wednesday.

"for the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else" I furrowed my eyes as the girl spoke. "just that I'm better than you"

My mother's voice cut the conversation and my grip on the oar tightened. "I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe cup. This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions." I clenched my teeth as I heard her voice. My anger only getting more intense the longer I sat with all of the information.

"Dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. The first team to cross the finish line with their flag. wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges."

I focused myself back on the race and rolled my shoulders back. "Let the poe cup, begin!" The sound of the gun being shot sent all of us forward.

"Oh excuse us!" Xavier calls out as he and the boys row past us, bumping into the front end of our boat. I scoffed and glared at the boy who spoke. Sending daggers into the back of his head.