The Conversation

'Right so, what's the plan?' we started making our way to the Slytherin common room, urgency in every step we took. Mattheo looked as though a weight lifted off his shoulders. Our hands were intertwined, our touch making up for the days we barely even looked at each other. 

'We have to be really discreet, and we need everyone's help.'

'Who is everyone exactly?'

'You, me, Pansy, Hermione, Ginny, Ron and possibly Draco.' I paused. 'If he even wants to help that is, he's the biggest suck-up.' I looked up at Mattheo but he was looking straight ahead, 'Anyway, we need to let the contestants know about the plan. Not Victor, I don't trust that knucklehead but as long as Cedric, Fleur and Harry know, he should be fine too.' We turned sharply. 'I know your da- I mean, Voldemort, is only after Harry, but they are all in danger. Every single one. My plan is to sabotage his grand plan as much as possible and make sure none of them...you know, die.' 

We stopped in front of the huge gray wall, 'This is where you come in. Everyone I just mentioned already know all about this plan, I let them know the day I came back from the Manor. You need to tell us everything you know about the plan. Everything. Temperato.' The wall grumbled and groaned before parting. 

The common room was quieter than usual, everyone must've been up in their dorm rooms preparing their flags and boards for tomorrow. 

'Okay, yes I will, but how are you planning on sabotaging his plan by tomorrow?' 

'We have the whole day, that is plenty of time.' Mattheo and I walked up to the Slytherin library in the corner of the common room. 'Hey guys.' Pansy, Draco and Blaise sat unamused around a table. I was surprised the Draco had decided to join, I genuinely thought he would've been tucked away in his bed snoring the evening away, knowing Harry and the other contestants could end up dead the very night after. 

'We were waiting for ages, how long does it take?' Draco asked impatiently. 'I knew I shouldn't have come here.'

We all ignored his whining and cut to the chase. 'Mattheo?'

'Right...uhm where do I begin...Alright so Barty Jr isn't dead, firstly-'

'I know.' I replied non-chalantly as if Mattheo had just announced that he was going to be holding a tea party in the afternoon. 'It was quite obvious that Moody wasn't actually Moody when he decided to teach us about the Three Unforgivable Curses, and during the revision lesson we had I somehow felt the strongest and most excruciatingly painful urge to find out exactly what Harry, Hermione and Ron were talking about behind me. He did that to me. I looked at him after Ron told me to buzz off and "Moody" looked away with an obvious expression of awkwardness after he realised that it was a stupid move to use the Cruciatus Curse on me.' 

The group stared at me when they're jaws hanging open. 'It was obvious. Anyway, moving on.' 

Mattheo cleared his throat awkwardly and resumed, 'Right, um. The most important thing is that the Triwizard Cup in the middle of the maze is a Portkey. It leads to the graveyard where my...' he paused looking down at the cobwebbed corner where the bookshelves met, 'grandfather was buried. All the Deatheaters will be there waiting, to properly revive Voldemort. We can't let any of them touch the Portkey. It's good Barty is out of the way, Voldemort has no idea what's happening in Hogwarts.'

I nodded slowly, my mind still processing the information, figuring out what to do to protect Harry and the others of what is to come. 'Okay...Pansy. I need to you tell Hermione about the Portkey situation, right now. I'll update you on the rest of our conversation once you come back, I promise.' Pansy gave a short, affirmative nod and jogged across and out of the common room. 

'Right, Mattheo, is there anything else?' I asked, directing my attention back at him. Mattheo closed his eyes, searching his mind for more information. 

'I...I can't remember.' he said, leaning forward putting his weight on his arms. 

'It's okay. So...'I exhaled deeply, reorganising information in slots in my brain. 'We have to sabotage the last game.'

Draco snorted, 'The whole game? That's impossible dimwit.'

'Don't call me that. And of course not the whole game... Just...' I sighed, 'I don't know.' 

There was a short silence. 

'Let's just take it one step at a time,' Blaise spoke, 'How will the contestants get out if they can't use the Portkey?'

I paused. 'Well, they could always shoot sparks into the air?' I suggested. 'Shit, but Viktor...He doesn't know...Is there any way to uhh hijack the maze?' 

Draco laughed this time, 'You're going to try and hijack the maze that Dumbledore created? Good luck with that.' he lifted his legs onto the table. 

'Why don't you propose something you jerk?' I said with scoff. 

'No one shows up. No final game. Simple.' he shrugged.

'Okay, Draco-' I paused considering his idea, '...that might work actually. If you just tell them about the plan with Voldemort, they definitely won't come to the game if it means life or death.'

Draco brushed invisible dust off his shoulders. 'Don't get ahead of yourself. The plan could go wrong.' A sigh escaped my lungs, 'We need to tell them now. Not Viktor, I still don't trust him, but the game can't go on with just him so it's fine.' 

Mattheo and I looked over at each other and smiled, for the first time in what felt like ages I didn't feel that hopeless pit of anxiety and I felt like maybe...just maybe everything might work out.