18: The Game

Surprisingly, no one really seemed to be around when we got back to base. I wondered whether the troupe members would go their separate ways now that the boss was. . . temporarily displaced.

   "We playing now?" Feitan asked.

   "There's no way in hell I'm playing in this stupid suit. If you want to then be my guest."

   Feitan shook his head. "No."

   "Alright, then. Let's change and grab some lunch and we'll meet back here in a bit." Phinks started heading out of the room toward the hallway.

   "Not hungry."

   "Well, I am," he called over his shoulder before he disappeared around the corner.

   Feitan shrugged and we walked side-by-side as we climbed the stairs to the fourth floor of the base. He didn't speak to me, or look at me, or really acknowledge my presence in any way. I wasn't sure what I did to upset him again, but I was getting pretty sick of his hot and cold nature.

   Slipping out of my dress and taking off my heels really was the best feeling. I made a mental note to stick some fold up flats or something in my bag next time—if there was another mission like this—so that my feet wouldn't have to suffer so much. Heels weren't something I had been allowed to wear in the past and, now that I could, I really wasn't a fan.

   Once i'd changed into some comfy clothes I threw myself onto the bed and stretched out my limbs, sighing as I felt the day's tension melt into the mattress.

   A knock came at the door, interrupting my brief moment of peace. I couldn't even give a response before the handle turned and Feitan came into my room wearing his usual cloak and cowl.

   I lifted my head off of the bed. "I didn't say you could come in."

   He ignored my complaint. "Come on. Back downstairs."

   "What if I don't want to?"

   "Will make you." He came closer to the bed, stopping next to it so that he was looking down from directly above me. "Up to you."

   "I do not take orders from you," I mocked in his voice.

   He held up his hand, focusing his nen into it like I'd seen him do before to our enemies—like he'd done to me. It was just a bluff to scare me. I knew that. Troupe members weren't allowed to fight each other. It was one of the few rules that the spiders seemed to care about.

   Then again, I still didn't have my tattoo, the mark that would signify my position in the troupe. Is that what would finally make him treat me like one of them? For now, was I still fair game in his eyes?

   I frowned. "I fucking hate you. You know that?"

   He didn't look too fazed by that.

   "Fine," I sighed and rolled off of the bed, pushing past him on my way out of the room. As I did, I swear there was a flicker of a smile in his eyes, like he found some kind of amusement in pissing me off.

   He was right beside me again as I started down the stairs. I knew he was dying to say something smug, but I wouldn't let him get the opportunity. "So, you're definitely gonna play Greed Island?" I asked.

   "Yes."

   "Aren't you worried about dying? The auctioneer made it seem pretty likely."

   "Tch. Not worried. Won't die."

   I guess I'd forgotten who I was talking to. Sure, Feitan could handle himself pretty well, but he was also too cocky to ever admit that he was afraid.