31: The Sacrifice

"What?" Akira sneered. "You didn't really think you'd get away that easily, did you? I told you, bunny, you'll never escape me."

   I didn't want to believe it was true. There had to be an end to all of his torment, a way to break loose of the grasp he'd always seemed to have on my life. Still, he remained a step ahead of me, keeping me from running time and time again

   "You were waiting here for us," I said. "How did you know this was where we'd be?"

   "Because of Muiri, of course."

   Feitan and I both turned to her—he didn't bother to hide his rage.

   She held up her hands in defense. "I swear I didn't mean for this to happen! I thought I was helping! I thought it was the safest way!"

   "You played right into my hands," Akira chuckled, clearly pleased with himself. "I told you to use that passageway to bring y/n to safety, but what you didn't understand was that I'd meant the safety of my arms." He looked between her and Feitan. "I always thought you might betray me like this eventually—though I did hope, for the sake of your parents, that I was wrong."

   Muiri furrowed her brow in anger, taking a step toward him, but her expression quickly changed when nothing happened. "I don't. . ." she trailed off, eyes wide as she realized why her ability wasn't working.

   "What is it, Muiri?" I asked her. "What's wrong?"

   "That isn't his real face," she answered. "He thought of everything."

   "Bingo!" He yelled before shifting into a man I didn't recognize.

   He held his hands out to Muiri and I watched in horror as blinding, electric light shot from his palms and streamed into her chest. She fell to the ground on her knees, throwing her head back in a pained shriek. The sound froze the blood in my veins.

   "Stop it!" I begged. "Don't hurt her!"

   "Bunny, you of all people should know that I don't allow betrayal to go unpunished."

   "It isn't her fault! I forced her to help me," I lied. "I threatened to tell the phantom troupe about her parents if she refused. I threatened to have them killed."

   He stopped torturing Muiri for a moment, giving me a wicked smile. She gasped desperately, clutching at her chest, trying to recover from his attack. "That's a side of you I haven't seen before. I might be impressed. . . if it were true."

   Muiri's screams filled the air again as he went back to using his ability on her tenfold.

   I lunged to charge at him, wanting nothing more than to stop him—to help Muiri—but Feitan grabbed my arms, holding me back. "Let me go!" I yelled.

   "Need to calm down," he said.

   "Calm down?! How can I calm down? He's killing her!" I could feel the tears staring to stream down my face.

   "Will kill you too if you fight him. Too late for her now."

   "How can you say that?!" I cried. "I have to save her! I have to try!" But even as I struggled against his hold I saw the light leaving Muiri's eyes. She was already gone. Akira had won.

   My heart shattered as he released her from his electric hold, letting her body crumple to the ground in slow motion. Feitan had to support me as my legs gave out in shock.

   This was my fault. I'd pushed her to fight back against Akira. I killed her.

   Akira morphed to become a copy of Feitan. "You're next, little man."