23: The Truth

"What do you want to know?"

"Well, let's start with why the fuck your picture is on a 'missing person' flier?"

"I think the answer to that is actually in the name of the flier itself—"

"Don't get smart with me!" He yelled, jabbing his finger in my face. "Just answer the damn question!"

"Phinks!" The voice I dreaded most to hear called from the busted doorway. He stood with his hands in his pockets, looking composed as ever, but his bloodlust could be felt slowly seeping into the room. "What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to get some answers, here. Has it occurred to you that we don't know the first thing about y/n?"

"I do."

"Oh, you think you do?" Phinks crossed his arms over his chest and looked between us. "Do you know why her face is plastered all over Yorknew city on missing person posters? Do you know about the guy who's looking for her? Because I met him last night and—"

"You saw him?" I asked, feeling my blood freeze in my veins. Had I been right? Had I really caught a glimpse of him after the auction? Had he found me already? "Where?"

He was in my face again. "Hey, I'm the one asking the questions, here!"

Feitan came up beside his friend, grabbing him by the shoulder and pulling him away from me. "I will take over. You can go."

Phinks reeled on him. "What?! But this is MY interrogation!"

"I am the troupe's interrogator," Feitan reminded him. His tone was calm, but he had a warning look in his eyes.

"Look, Fei, I don't want to step on your toes, alright? I'm just wondering why y/n never mentioned any of this. The guy that's looking for her—something's off about him, I could feel it. If she keeps hiding shit from us then she's only putting the troupe in more danger."

"Y/n," Feitan said, ignoring Phinks. "My room. Has a door. More private. Other troupe members less likely to eavesdrop. Phinks," He added on the way out, "Fix her door." The last part earned an angered look from Phinks, who was upset over having lost control of the situation, and annoyed at being treated like a child.

I reluctantly followed Feitan next door into his room. As badly as I wanted to stay away from him right now, I knew that he would at least respect my desire for privacy and only tell the others what he felt they needed to know. I mean, clearly he hadn't already told them that I'd been on the run, or Phinks would have acted a little differently.

He instructed me to have a seat on the bed and stood in front of me, not taking his eyes off of mine as he carefully chose his first question. "The man Phinks met. . . this is who you're running from?"

"I mean, maybe, but he refused to answer any of my questions, so who can say for sure?"

"Who is he?"

"His name is Akira."

"Who is he to you?"

"If you want to get technical, he was my fiancé."

"Was?"

"Yeah, until I left him."

His eyes darkened. "Said before that he hurt you. Is that why you left?"

"That's part of it, yes."

"Why else?"

I sighed. It seemed there was no point in hiding things anymore, especially after what Phinks had said—if lying about my past would put the troupe in danger, then I'd have to tell the truth. "Well, I never wanted to marry Akira. He was one of the church's main donors. He gave thousands of dollars to the priest who, in turn, offered me up as a virgin bride to him. The whole thing was very 1700's. Mostly, I think he just wanted to get rid of me." I paused to see if Feitan had any more questions, but he just nodded for me to continue. "So, anyway, the two of them forced me to move to his estate before the wedding. He kept me locked away both day and night, only letting me out long enough to dine with him each night. He was polite at first—I mean, if you forgot that he was literally keeping me locked up like a bird in a cage—until I refused his advances. Then, he turned cold and violent. It was worse the more I fought. Eventually, I broke. I thought that if I gave in then things would get better, that they would go back to how they'd been before, but they didn't."