46: The Girl in the File

The cracks of light coming through Feitan's curtains woke us up the next morning. I stretched before nuzzling into his neck, placing a trail of kisses down his skin.

He hummed. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I replied, backing away to look at him. "Fingernails," I said, seeing if he'd remember.

"Teeth," he groaned, rolling his eyes.

I smiled and climbed on top of him, wrapping my arms around the back of his neck to pull him into a hug. Behind me, I heard the bedroom door open up, followed by Phinks's voice.

"I'm making breakfast. Y/n, how do you like your eg—oh, god damn it!"

We both turned to look at him.

"You two are a couple of fucking animals. I mean, how do you have the energy after last night? I could barely sleep with all the noise you were—"

Fei chucked a pillow at him, hitting him square in the face and cutting him off.

"Out," he demanded in an icy tone.

Phinks threw the pillow back at him. "Fine, but don't take too long up here or your breakfast will get cold." He turned to me. "Eggs?"

"Scrambled?"

He gave me a thumbs up and left.

Feitan shook his head. "Lucky troupe members can't fight. Would kill him in an instant."

"You don't mean that."

"Sometimes."

The breakfast that Phinks made was surprisingly incredible. The eggs were fluffy, the bacon was perfectly crisp, and he even made little chocolate chip smiley faces in my pancakes. Fei commented that he thought the choice was childish, but I think he was just in a bad mood because his pancakes were frowning at him.

After breakfast, we went to meet up with the rest of the gang at the orphanage. It turned out the preacher had taken the children out of Meteor City to get them away from the ants, so the others hadn't gotten a chance to talk to him yet. Thankfully, word had reached him that the town was safe again and so he was expected back any minute.

The other spiders were waiting outside of the orphanage. Shizuku had found some new clothes to replace the ones that had been torn to shreds in her fight against the ants. It made me wonder where she and everyone else had spent the night. They probably had homes of their own just like Feitan. Did any of them have families to go back to?

"How's the arm?" Shalnark asked as the three of us approached.

Feitan shrugged. His arm was still in the sling that the healer had given him. "Have to wear this for about a week. Should be fine after."

Nobunaga laughed. "A week? Damn, I always forget how strong your nen is! I would have given anything to have seen that fight of yours."

"Yeah," Machi agreed. "Especially since we couldn't be much help otherwise."

"Hey, it's not your fault the preacher wasn't here," I told her. "Besides, we managed just fine."

"Yeah," Phinks agreed. "Not like Feitan really needs the use of that arm anyway."

I shot him a look. I was ready to scold him, but my attention was grabbed by the sound of screaming children. I looked to find dozens of kids chasing each other up the path to the orphanage. One little boy was looking over his shoulder while he ran and he ended up crashing into me, falling backwards onto the ground with a grunt. I knelt down to check on him.