44: The Worry

Warning: Sexual Content

   Relief washed over me as Feitan finally rejoined us. I wanted to launch myself at him and wrap him in massive hug, but I refrained. He still gripped his arm at his side and I didn't want to run the risk of hurting him.

   We cleared out the rest of the nest. All of the Meteor City residents who had been turned into monsters begged us to kill them. We obliged, but only on the condition that they fight back. Phinks wanted them to die with pride instead of being killed out of charity.

   Once we were out of the nest, Shalnark's phone started ringing.

   "Is it Chrollo?!" Phinks asked excitedly, whipping toward Shal.

   "No, it's Nobunaga. He wants us to lend him a hand."

   Phink's expression shifted into one of anger and annoyance. "Oh, for crying out loud! Screw him!!" He turned his face toward the sky, grumbling. "This sucks. It's so frustrating having to wait."

   Shalnark and Feitan exchanged a glance before they both started snickering.

   "You sound like a girl with a crush," Shalnark teased.

   "Girly girl," Feitan added.

   Phinks's face was bright red as he reeled on them. "What did you say?! You wanna say that again?!"

   The other two erupted in laughter as they both started to run away. Phinks chased after them, picking up rocks and junk to throw in their direction.

   "You're dead!" He yelled.

   "Hey, we're injured!" Shal called back when a rock narrowly missed his head.

   "So?!"

   "Can't you all knock it off?" Bonolenov shouted from where we stood. "We're still on a mission!"

   "We'll stop when he does!" Shal answered.

   "Phinks, knock it off!"

   "How is this my fault?!"

   "None of this matters right now," Shizuku chimed in. "Nobu needs our help."

   The boys all calmed down and made up eventually. Shalnark shared the details of his phone call with the others, explaining that they'd have to meet up with Nobu and Machi at the preacher's place. While the rest of the group went to help them, Feitan and I went to find a local healer to look at his arm. Afterwards, as the evening drew nearer, he led me deeper into the city, refusing to stop until he reached a small house that looked all but abandoned.

   "Is this where the preacher lives?" I asked in confusion. I didn't see any sign of the others. I couldn't even sense their auras.

   "No," he answered. "Where I live."

   "Feitan, Nobunaga said he needed help. We shouldn't—"

   "Acting leader. Don't have to listen to anyone else. Wanted to be home."

   I understood why he was feeling that way. He'd had the toughest fight of the spiders. He'd managed to bring the queen down, but had suffered a lot of pain as a result. Any normal person would have died in a heartbeat, but because Feitan's nen was so strong, the worst that came of his fight was that he'd have to be in a sling for a week or so while his arm healed. Still, despite how lucky he'd been he was acting like a dog in a cone. He hated feeling held back or inferior in any way, so he'd decided to crawl back home and lick his wounds, not wanting our friends to view him as weak.

   "I get it, but the reason we came here—the entire purpose of our mission—was to investigate this trafficking ring, and talking to the preacher was an integral part of that, so I think—"