13: The Beads

I'm not sure how it worked, but it did. Just when I thought I'd reached my breaking point, I somehow managed to shave twenty minutes off of my recovery time. I don't know if Poe started holding back or my body adapted, but I was pretty proud.

Feitan didn't seem as impressed, though. He still made me go outside and do it all again. This time when I woke up I was in my room, but I could feel a mattress underneath me instead of my bedroll. I sat up, confused, and started searching for answers. Shizuku was standing next to the bed, trying to contain her excitement.

"Surprise!" she squealed. "Do you like it?"

"Geez Shiku," Machi said from the foot of the bed, "At least give her a second to wake up."

"Oh, right. Sorry."

I went to rub my eyes and realized that my hand was bandaged, covering my cut from the blood sacrifices. And there was something else, a negative presence missing from the room. Somehow I guess I had grown accustomed to it. "Where's Feitan?"

"I kicked him out," Machi answered. "Nobunaga told me that he was being too hard on you."

"He was helping me train."

"Regardless, the boss called a meeting for tonight, so we'll actually need you fit to be on your feet. Now," she came around the bed, "let me see your wound."

I reluctantly gave her my hand. She unwrapped it and grimaced. "Fuck, y/n, how many times did you cut into this?"

I bit my cheek. "Uh. . . five times?"

She gave me a scolding look, shaking her head as her nen threads started stitching my skin back together. "I'm going to kill Feitan."

"There is no fighting between troupe members," he said, appearing in the door.

"Are you aware of how bad her injury is?"

He nodded. "I was the one who wrapped her hand."

He was?

"And you don't feel bad about that? You're overworking her."

"She is fine. You are fixing her."

"That's not the point!" Machi yelled at him.

He stepped past her so that he was standing at my bedside, stooping down to speak to me. "You think I am too hard on you? You want me to stop?"

I quickly shook my head. "No, I know that you're just trying to make me stronger."

"You do not care if it hurts?" I swear his eyes lit up at the question.

"No, I—"

"Feitan, you sadistic fucki—"

"Machi," Shizuku put her hand on Machi's, trying to calm her down, "Maybe we should stay out of it? Y/n doesn't seem to have a problem with the way he's helping her. Just focus on healing her so we can tell the boss about what we found on our mission."

"What did you find?" Feitan asked her.

"Oh, well—"

"The bedspread," Machi interrupted.

It was clear that they were trying to hide something that happened while they were out—well, Machi was.

"Shizuku is just really excited to show it off," she added. "Right?"

Shizuku was slow to get the hint, but eventually she nodded her head. "Ohh. Right, yes. I want the boss to see it."

"Uh. . . okay?" I responded. I wasn't sure if they were keeping something from me or Feitan, but I made a mental note to ask them about it later.