Sacrifice (Part 1)

George POV.

How is this fair at all? I wondered as a long pale robe was pulled on me, made of soft fabric which was a mixture of blue and green. These were the ceremonial robes, for the ritual for the god Dream XD, our god.

Once every year, a man and a woman between the age of twenty and twenty-five were offered up to the god as a sacrifice. It is said that if XD approves of the sacrifices then there will be good fortune for the people of L'manburg when it came to people's health and the food and everything else. If he didn't approve, then the year would be full of droughts and plagues.

That was my life at the moment. I had been chosen by L'manburg's elders to be a sacrifice to Dream XD. Who has not accepted and approved of his sacrifices once in the time I have been alive, I don't even know why we bother trying anymore.

Honestly being killed to become an eternal servant, or companion of a god or whatever, was better than my life. I lived with my parents in a small home connected to the bakery my family owned. However, despite the warm ovens and everything, we were freezing, and we weren't even allowed to eat the food cooked in the bakery either.

I was forced to stand still as the ceremonial robes were fitted on me, my hair was cleaned and brushed for the first time in years. A light blush and some red lipstick which were only meant to be affordable for the rich people were applied over my face, before I was directed by guards to leave the room and start heading towards the ceremonial grounds.

There was a path laid out, all the way from what was called the prep rooms to the ceremonial chambers, which was more accurately a colosseum. It was a path made of dark black ash, and the petals of blue, white, red, and yellow flowers, representing the five colours of the L'manburg flag.

The guards were on either side of me as I walked, my bare feet feeling grateful that at least the ash and flowers didn't hurt as much to walk on as the bare ground. On either side of the path were families heading towards the ceremonial chambers, none of them were allowed to make eye contact with me, but sent glances when the guards weren't looking.

There was a firm rule that anyone who stepped on the ash and flowers would be executed, aside from the sacrifices, and it showed. I'd never seen the sacrifices walking to their deaths, but I knew that was a rule from what I was told by my parents.

I also knew that I would be killed in a brutal way if I stepped off the petals, since me getting ready for the ceremony was apparently meant to represent me becoming 'cleansed and pure', and stepping off the ash and flowers meant that the purity and cleanliness were gone.

When we reached the ceremonial chambers I was brought through a set of large doors and walked into the centre of the coliseum, looking around in worry at all that was happening around me. I was made to walk around one edge of the arena, which was still lined with the path of flowers and ash.

There was a ring of the flowers and ash around the edge of the arena, with four paths heading towards the centre of the circle before crossing over each other, forming an 'X'. I had to walk around one part of the circle before heading into the middle and standing where I would wait for the girl who would be sacrificed and the priest who would do the sacrificing.

Standing on either side of the doors, directly below the emperor were two platforms. My family was on one of the platforms, and the girl's family was on the other platform. They all would get the best view of their children getting sacrificed to a god who didn't even exist and if he did exist was an absolute asshole.

My gaze lowered as I saw a small looking girl walking around the edge of the circle, wearing a set of ceremonial robes the same colour as mine. Her hair was pulled away from her face, plated over her shoulder as she looked around, but not in worry, she seemed completely confident.