Eight

I was a good cook, but something I had never done was cook Chinese food

I was a good cook, but something I had never done was cook Chinese food. So I knew that tonight's dinner would be quite a challenge. I was planning on making sesame chicken with fried rice and I even decided to add egg rolls as an appetizer. I had no idea how to cook either of those things.

    I should've asked if she wanted pizza. Pizza was easy.

    Jason walked out of his bedroom and made his way into the kitchen, where he began sniffing the food, practically shoving his nose into everything including the egg roll filling.

"What's the occasion?" He asked. Jason was dressed in a red velvet button-down shirt, exposing more of his chest than necessary. I rolled my eyes. He was definitely trying to seduce West tonight. "And what's this shit?" He was talking about the egg roll filling.

    "I've told you a million times. Harrison is coming for dinner," I reminded him. "Unlike you, I remember things. You and West are going to the bar tonight. And this is egg roll filling."

    Jason glared at me. "You're making egg rolls without me? So fucking disrespectful. You know I love egg rolls."

    I just rolled my eyes. "So, what gives? Are you trying to pop West's cherry tonight? Judging by your shirt, you are."

    "There's no big deal about me and West, Otto," he scoffed. "It's just casual. I don't get why it matters what I wear. I freaking like velvet. It's soft and rough at the same time, is there such an issue with that?"

    "I didn't think it was just casual," I said. "I thought maybe it was a bit more than that at this point."

    "Well, it's not!" Jason snapped.

    I was slightly taken aback. Jason rarely snapped at me, but when he did it meant that something was wrong. I wouldn't push him to tell me what it was, but I couldn't just ignore it.

    "What's your deal?" I asked.

    He was silent for a second, and it looked as if he was trying to contain his anger. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped." Jason paused to take a deep breath, his features softening into a calmer state. "I've gotta go."

    And with that, Jason left with the car keys. He lightly shut the door on his way out, probably trying to mask his annoyance from me, but I knew that he was angry. And I knew that something was off.

    The last time Jason had acted like that was in our Freshman year of college. He was dating another guy at the university and after months and months of dating, Jason started to act weird whenever I brought up their relationship. Long story short, they got in a big fight, and I don't want to go through the details, but the guy he was dating found out about what Jason was doing behind his back and that's when things got really messy. Jason's boyfriend had every right to be pissed off, too. Jason could be a pretty messed up dude when he wanted to be. He could also be a fantastic guy: nice, funny, and caring. Hell, even I could admit that he was pretty damn hot. But then there were times when he screwed up badly, and he ruined a lot of good things. He wasn't the best at relationships from his track record. He had acted like this before in the past and I was concerned that he was going to ruin things for himself again. I was worried that he was going to ruin what he had with West.