Checkmate

2 months

2 months. Oh, how time flies by when you're having fun.

2 months until I would find my sweet freedom. And I had plans. Big, big plans for my emancipation. I was going to finish what I started.

At this point, the control of Otto's body was completely mine. He hadn't made an attempt to come out for nearly 2 years now. Dr. Rosen's therapy truly helped me learn how to identify the signs of my dissociation. I knew exactly how to push Otto down, denying him access to his own body. It was mine, and I would never give it back to him.

I had been practicing my Otto impersonation the entire time I was in jail, and being in a mental institution was just another opportunity to work on it. And let me just tell you, I was damn good at it by now. I was fooling everyone, even the fucking psychiatrist! Ha! How hilarious is that? Her job was to be an expert on people like me, but clearly she was clueless.

The door opened to the room where visitors were allowed to sit down with patients, and Jolene walked in. She made her way across the room to where I sat waiting for her at our usual spot. It was a small chess table in the back corner of the room. Not many people were around at the moment, which made it a perfect time to discuss plans with Jolene. She sat across from me.

"Otto," she breathed out. "It's great to see you again."

"Oh, Jolene. Don't flatter me like that," I teased, sending her a wink. "We have things to discuss. Correct?"

"Yes! Yes, of course," Jolene said, blushing. It was pathetic how girls could blush so easily. Was winking really that big of a deal?

I motioned for her to move one of her pieces on the board, since she took charge of the white pawns and I always opted for black. I found it fitting. She grabbed one of her white pawns and moved it one space.

"Are you going to be released?" Jolene asked.

I moved a pawn. "In 2 months, yes. Everything I've been doing lately has been working. I'd like to say I'm getting pretty good at playing Otto." I reached underneath the table to run my fingers along the seams of her jeans. I couldn't help but smirk at her reaction, how she bit her lip and shivered at the same time. I tended to have that effect on people.

"That's perfect," Jolene said, moving a pawn. "I've been keeping tabs on the girl."

"Harrison," I whispered. The one girl I couldn't get off of my mind. And not because I was fond of her. All I could think about was how badly I wanted to end her life. "What has she been up to?"

"I followed her the past weekend," Jolene informed me. "She was with some guy named Asher Tricia. He's her boyfriend."

I scoffed. "How ignorant."

"I don't know... I think that being in a relationship is a good thing. Love is a good thing," she said, smiling at me. I rolled my eyes.

"No, that's pathetic," I told her, wiping the smile off her face. "Loving someone, or believing that love is real is the most pathetic, naive thing you could ever do. It's destined to end in a pile of shit," I snapped.

Jolene looked slightly taken aback. I could see her swallow before moving another pawn.

"But... if you're talking about the physical act," I moved my hand up further on her thigh, squeezing it. She jumped a little, shocked by my touch. I rubbed my thumb along her inner thigh, focusing my attention on the chess board and moving a pawn. "Well, the sex... the sex is the only good part of any relationship. The only thing that brings boundless pleasure to both people involved. I don't mind the sex. I don't mind it one bit."

Jolene leaned in towards the table a bit more, clearly enjoying the attention I was giving her. "Tell me more about it. About the physical part," she whispered.

I licked my lips and moved another one of my pawns, this time it was a Knight. "I like to have sex so real, so fucking raw, you wouldn't believe it. Perhaps I'd get to show you someday."

I was playing her good. She just needed that last push.

Jolene's blush remained permanently on her face as she reached to move another pawn. "You know I'd love that, Otto. Just like old times."

Ugh. Gross. The thought of her and real Otto getting it on was repulsive. It was repulsive because they had truly been in love at one point.

"Except this time you won't try to kill me," She added.

I laughed. "Don't be so sure, Jolene. I'd like you to know just how much I want to kill you," I said, and I inched my head closer towards hers, keeping my voice a low whisper. "I have the strongest desire to take this pawn and shove it directly through your chest and then pull it down the rest of your torso until your insides are showing, and there's nothing left of you but a bloody, dead, mess." She gulped. I grinned. "I tried to kill you once and I failed. The same happened with Harrison, and I must end her. What makes you think I won't just end you while I'm at it?"

"Because," Jolene started, her voice was shaky, "I trust you. And I know that I can help you kill her. I know how to get to her, and I'm valuable to you, Otto. I know what I'm doing, I'm not foolish."

"Oh, but you are," I told her, moving my final pawn. "Checkmate."

"What? How?"

"You have much to learn, Jolene," I told her. "Killing someone is as simple as a game of chess. Harrison and all of her friends, even you, are just pawns in my little game. One wrong move, one misjudgment, and it's game over. Checkmate."

•••