Eighteen

West had assumed all the wrong things that night before I could tell him what happened

"You were with him, weren't you? Otto?" He had asked. "Or better yet, you were with him and told him not to tell anyone so you made him look crazy and starved him!" That theory was just plain insane and made no logical sense.

    Before he could assume one more thing I yelled at him to stop assuming. "To assume means you make an ass out of you and me!" He barely laughed at my play on words and rolled his eyes, but agreed to stop making an ass out of the both of us. Once he had finally shut up, I told him everything. And that meant everything. Every little detail about what Jason and I did, how we ended up at Otto's secret apartment, and the chaos that followed.

    "Dissociative identity disorder?" West had asked, his mouth open wide enough to probably house an entire grapefruit.

    I had nodded and continued telling him about the apartment. That part of the story really set him off, and it was like he was watching a TV show listening to me (by his widened eyes and mouth, his gasping every so often, and his constant oh my God's). I told him every little detail, but I made sure he wouldn't bring it up, even to Jason. Just in case it was only information for me to know. West could barely leave my room that night because he wanted to know more, but I'd told him all I knew. And I didn't know damn near enough.

    I woke up on Sunday morning at 9 o'clock. Today was the soccer game that I had to cover. The report was due this upcoming Monday, so I needed to get it done ASAP. I tried to ask West to come with me so I wouldn't have to watch the soccer game alone and get utterly bored, but he said he would rather do his math homework. Rude. He was in my dorm room doing his homework, too, probably eating all of my late night study snacks. He couldn't keep his paws off of my strawberry flavored pop tarts.

    I got to the yearbook meeting in the computer lab at twelve. Everyone was talking about the layout and going over what we were all assigned to do today. "Harrison, you're covering soccer. Yes?" Macy asked. Macy was the president of the yearbook committee, a senior. She was a redhead and all she ever liked to cover was football and lacrosse. Everyone had this theory that she was two-timing a dude from the football team and a dude from the lacrosse team, which was why those were the only sports she covered. But there was no proof to whether that theory was correct or just a fun scenario to imagine.

    I nodded. "Good," She said. "You need to interview the team captain, Mike. And then fit in a couple other players. The MVP last year was Robert Jacobs, so he'd be a good one. Maybe get the coach to say some words, too?"

    "Sounds good," I said.

    Macy liked me because she always said that I was, "So easy going," and I guess maybe I was, especially when it came to what she assigned me in the yearbook. I couldn't care less about soccer, but I got to write, and that was enough for me. I would get out of class sometimes to take photos for the yearbook. I usually requested to take pictures during second and third period, which I loved because that was my off period, and third was math, which I hated more than anything.