Twenty-Four

He returned home with a smile on his face, fully satisfied with his actions

He returned home with a smile on his face, fully satisfied with his actions. He had gotten Harrison to agree to go to the mountains with him, and that was about all he cared about at the moment. His foolish companion (the utterly stupid and foolish English teacher, Otto) hadn't been able to pull himself together, so he had no choice but to take over. And it was for the best, although Otto may not see it that way in the future.

    When he walked through the front door, shutting it behind him, Jason was standing in the kitchen holding a beer. Jason looked up at him but he kept walking, keeping a smug grin on his face, and making his way towards his room.

    "So?" Jason asked, and so Otto stopped, turning to face him. "How did your meet-up with Harrison go, huh?"

    "Oh, it went exquisitely," he replied, and the grin never faded. "We're going on a trip to Mount Huron, and we're leaving today."

    "Excuse me?" Jason said, setting his beer on the counter and moving closer to Otto. "You're going to Mount Huron? With Harrison?"

    "That is what I said."

    Jason shook his head. "No, Otto, you can't do that," he protested.

    "He can do whatever he wants," Otto said defensively. His grin was finally wiped from his face.

    "Otto, man, wake the fuck up," Jason said, and once again stepped closer. "You can't."

    "He can!" Otto yelled, causing his fists to tighten into balls and his jaw to clench. He wasn't happy anymore, he was wrathful. And he wasn't one to be messed with. "And he is going to, so you can't do anything to stop it!"

    "You're not thinking straight!" Jason yelled. "Come on, Otto. Listen to yourself, you aren't speaking normally, you're talking in the fucking third person! This is what happens when shit starts to go bad, Otto. You don't speak like yourself. Which means that you literally aren't yourself. Please, realize that."

    "Stop trying to change him," he said angrily, taking a step closer to Jason. Each step he would take meant a step closer to something very dangerous, something he knew he shouldn't do, but he would if he had to. "He's fine, you're trying to trick him, but it won't work."

    Jason took a step. Not one more. He grabbed Otto's shoulders and yelled, "Wake up, Otto! For God's sake, can't you see what you're doing?"

    And that made him angrier. At that moment, Otto pushed Jason off of him, and Jason fell over the coffee table in the living room. His eyes were wide. Jason stood up. "You think you know what's happening?" Otto asked, stepping closer once more. "You don't know shit, Jason!"

    "I know you, Otto, " Jason said. "We're brothers, I know what happens when you're like this. You go crazy, you get angry and you do things that you shouldn't do! I've known this side of you too long to be fooled by it."