A Dragon's Trust

『••✎••』

Days went and came. Toothless and I grew closer, and so did me and the Scaleless boy. 

He showed my new friend and me nothing but kindness, giving us free food and even helping Toothless fly. The downside was that they had to do it together, or it wouldn't work. Meanwhile, while they wer all out on their training flights, I was lounging in the Cove, and oh boy, it was so comfortable. Much more so than sleeping a few hundred years on the Lonely Mountain. 

I'm glad I left. Gold had no value to me anymore, either. At least, I hoped so. I hadn't seen a single coin ever since I came here. Speaking about Toothless and Hiccup, here they come. 

I smiled as I saw the two land gracefully well, not as Toothless would land had he had two fins of scales and blood. But it was working, at least. I beamed as I slithered over Toothless being the first to spot me. with a yip, he bounded over, making poor Hiccup being dragged after "wow, whoa, calm down, bud!" Hiccup called as he soon got to his feet again. 

I stifled a chuckle and lowered my head to give Hiccup a nudge. He gasped as my snout touched his arm and stiffened. This made me frown, and I did the same thing again. Still stiff as a stick. "what's... wrong with him?" I crooned, lolling my head to the side. Toothless shrugged and started to clean himself; Hiccup was still attached to him. 

I shrugged it off and walked to the pond, looking for some fish. Soon seeing a green salmon, I licked my lips and snatched it up, killing it with one press from my teeth. Then I gulped it down, and soon I had a whole pile. I was planning to share with Hiccup and Toothless, you see. 

"hey boys, come here!" I called, knowing that only one of them would understand me. But Hiccup would follow Toothless, so whether he understood me was the same. So, giving a position of 1-4 fish to the Night Wing, 3 to Hiccup, and the rest to myself, we started to eat. 

Hiccup didn't entirely like the idea of eating raw fish, but if he was going to keep up with us, he had to. I yawned when I was finished and soon retread to my little sleeping spot -- near the pond of glittering water. 

I loved being near water since I hadn't seen it before I went to vibrate. Also also, the sun. Lets her say shine first on the morrow, meaning I can get up early for morning flights. 

I always love morning flights. They give me peace and tranquility. 

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

 "hey, Smaug?" Toothless called, and I opened my eyes, finding him some meters away from my face. 

I grumbled but let him know that I was listening. "I was wondering if you wanted to join Hiccup and me in training. We are testing out the tail for good this time and see if I can fly as I used to," says the Night Wing, and you stare at him, thinking, getting lost in thought. 

It would be fun, you think, then if they fail, I can save them just like friends can. Why not? You snap out of your thoughts and smile, lifting your head. "I will" Toothless' face lit up, and he beams a gummy smile. You chuckle at his happiness. So a small thing, yet he treasures it. 

This will be my first time flying with them. I hope it goes well. I get up and walk over to where Toothless is getting ready. Hiccup is getting onto his back. "okay, bud, I'm ready. Let's try this," he mumbles, and Toothless grumbles, shaking his wings out. I do the same, and we're in the sky before we know it. I keep close to the Night Wing, so I can follow if he falls. 

Hiccup beams, but then they suddenly crash into a sea stack. So what? I could've helped, but it is fun to see them fail a bit, too. I shake my head as it happens a second time, but then we climb higher, and I feel the adrenaline rushing in. I hope I can show them some of my tricks, not that I'm too much for them, but it would be fun to do it with some dragons. 

Suddenly I hear the scare calls of Hiccup and Toothless "ahhh Smaug, help!" Toothless call, and I was still in the air turning back and making a loud noise, diving toward the falling Scaled. "don't worry, I got you," I call and spread my wings, letting them catch the wind and extending my talons. I try to grip Toothless, but he keeps spinning, making it hard to find an excellent spot to grab. 

"what are you waiting for?! HELP ME!" He roars, and I growl, shutting him up. "I'm trying, but you are spinning!" I hiss and then see Hiccup do his part, having a paper thingy in his mouth and straining to get Toothless' tail to find out. 

I let out an angered whimper, my golden eyes wide. I can't do anything. If I grab Toothless now, I can hurt him, and Hiccup and my claws are sharp. I don't want them to start to bleed. So I dive beside them, giving attention to the oncoming ground. I'm not going to let them deal with fate themselves. 

We are a pack. We share each other's pains. But soon, when we are skidding treetops, Hiccup gets the hang of the mechanical tail and gets Toothless to flatten out. The two soon glide, and I join them, wincing at the strain in my wings. 

Both Rider and Scaled are panting. I give Toothless a laugh and a nudge "see, weren't that hard!" I chuckle, and Toothless rolls his eyes, but a smile makes its way on his lips. "yeah... it wasn't." I smile at Hiccup, who reaches out, and I get that he wants to touch me. I sigh and move my wing, so my tip is close to his hand. 

Soon enough, he touches it, and instead of pulling away like I thought I would, I feel myself relax. His paws are soft like eiderdown and careful like a sapling from a tree. I smiled at him before distancing myself from the scaleless and flying for myself for a time, lost in thought. 

I didn't know what to call this feeling, but I liked it. And I never want it to dwindle. 

~ ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ ~