Fear, Anger, and Dragons

Hiccup steps back from the door, drawing the Monstrous Nightmare out of its cave. It snorts, stepping into the ring, calmed by Hiccup's outstretched hand -- focused on him.

His friends are bewildered, in awe. Snotlout nervously reaches for a spear lying near his foot. Astrid stops him. "Uh-uh," she tells him. Hiccup slows to a stop in front of the teens, with the Nightmare inches from his outstretched hand. He reaches over and grabs Snotlout's trembling hand.

Toothless stands behind Hiccup, watching, ready to attack if the Nightmare should try anything. "Wait! What are you..." Snotlout asks, his voice trembling. But Hiccup cuts him off calmly. "Relax. It's okay... it's okay." He replaces his outstretched hand with Snotlout's, putting him in control of the massive beast. The Nightmare snorts but remains calm. Snotlout, by contrast, chuckles nervously -- it's at once terrifying and amazing. The others watch, spellbound. Finally, hiccup turns and walks away.

Toothless smiles at him as he comes up. The NightWing is more than ready to fly after Smaug. Hiccup pulls a bundle of rope from a supply box beside Tools. "You're going to need something to help you hold on," he says. 

The teens eye each other apprehensively and look up to see all the dragons standing in the ring, facing the teens expectantly. Toothless is as calm as he can, telling the other dragons to calm down when they seem too irritated.

"easy, there's nothing to fear here," he says when Astrid goes to the female Deadly nadder, who snorts but keeps calm. "she's not so bad," she mumbles and leans into Astrid's hand. Toothless chuckles. "I know" 

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥ 

I stare into nothing and feel the call of the Queen tug at me. 

I don't want to show these humans their way, but I have another choice. And it seems like her Highness wants me back, probably for a rematch.

I'm probably the only dragon who's ever challenged her, but I will gladly do it again. for my friends and their families. All anger leaves me as I see the familiar sea stacks, some of them already having broken ships hanging from their cracks.

The chains that are still strapped tight have been a nuisance. I claw absently at one when we float closer to the volcano. They might think it's silent and deserted for bad ears, but I know better.

The Queen is waiting inside, and when we are close enough, she will probably send a squadron of dragons to attack us. I shudder. My long tail sweeps the floor and knocks a strange Viking making him golver at me.

But I can't hear him. all I hear is the calling. The more I struggle against it, the stronger it becomes. Let it wash over you, says the wise voice in my head, let her call. Let her use her voice. You are not a slave. You are not a servant. You are the Queen of the Mountian. Show her. Show her that her call does not affect you. 

I listen to her and stop struggling. It is better to let her wash over my head. She has no effect. she is nothing. But, yes, there it is; there's the strength I need. I feel it filling my veins, my heart beating strongly. I will not let myself fall again. I am the Queen under the Mountian, and I am Death. I am Fire. 

No one can kill me. I am the Queen. 

The closer we come to the cold run, the more I hiss, not out of pain but anger. Anger has returned. But I am calm against the bonds that keep me. But not for much longer. I am Smaug.

Yes... that is who I am.

I am Smaug.  

~ ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ ~

cliff hanger