𝟐𝟕

↬ 

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐬.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐋𝐀𝐏 𝐀𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒 𝐀𝐄𝐆𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄 could be heard throughout the whole Red Keep. "Tell me you are not that stupid!" Alicent paced around in the King's chambers, her hands bundled up in her hair as she tried to keep focus. But Aegon just sat on his bed with his head down. He almost felt embarrassed by his latest blunder.

"Do you have any idea what you have done?" Alicent's widened eyes bore into his. "Any?" But Aegon kept his mouth shut. No answer was going to help the situation they were currently in. Alicent began hitting him on his shoulders, "you useless man!" Aegon grabbed Alicent's wrists to stop them from hitting him. He stood up, "nothing is going to happen, mother! I am King, nothing can harm me." Alicent scoffed at his words, tears almost filling her eyes.

Alicent was afraid of Rhaenyra. First she stole Rhaenyra's crown by placing her son on the Throne, and now that same son has murdered one of her children. And if there was one thing Rhaenyra held dearest to her heart, it were her children. Alicent also knew about the amount of dragons the Blacks possessed, and she knew that any day now, they would come here to burn this whole place down.

"I never meant to kill him," Aegon spoke silently. The Dowager Queen released an angry breath as she looked at her son, "no? Then tell me what you were doing chasing him on your fucking dragon!" Aegon walked away from Alicent, but she was faster and stopped him to look at her. "I was just trying to scare him!"

"You were chasing him on a dragon, Aegon. Those creatures are made for wars, and you used Sunfrye to chase a young boy through the clouds? Why!" Aegon could see the steam leaving Alicent's ears. The Dowager Queen was extremely angry at her son, but most of all she was scared. Rhaenyra wouldn't leave it at this.

Aegon sighed, "because of Aemond." Alicent frowned, what role could Aemond possibly play in this? She hadn't seen her son in weeks, but it was not uncommon for him to disappear for a long time. "Because of Aemond you killed Luke?" Alicent looked down at the wooden floor, trying to answer her own question. "Luke spoke of Aemond's betrayal to us." Alicent's eyes spoke to him, telling him to continue with what he was saying. "He said that Aemond has bent the knee to Rhaenyra."

One of these days Alicent would die from a heart attack, she was sure of it. The only one of her children who was harmless was her daughter, and funny enough she was the only one who wanted nothing to do with her mother. Helaena spent the majority of her days with her children. Some would call them bastards for they were born out of wedlock.

The truth couldn't have been more wrong. Many moons ago, on a certain night, Aegon had entered Helaena's chambers drunken out of his mind. The Prince had shared the bed with his sister, even if she didn't wish it. Helaena has always been soft in nature, occupying herself with bugs. She enjoyed being on her own. But ever since that unfortunate night, she just felt unworthy. She didn't want to be alone anymore, she was frightened of her brother and what he could do. Every time she stood in his presence she just wished the ground would open itself up to swallow her in.

But when Jaehaerys and Jaehaera were born, Helaena found herself smiling more often. They were Aegon's children, yes, but they were Helaena's little saviors. She adored them, and spent the majority of her days with her children. When Alicent heard this news, she wed the siblings immediately. Helaena would marry her worst nightmare, and Aegon would marry someone other than the women who had stolen his heart. But even if he was married to Helaena, he knew he could still wed the white pearl. Aegon the conqueror had two wives, and Aegon would bring honor to the conqueror's name.

But things had changed now. There wasn't a moment where Aegon wasn't looking outside of his window, searching for a bronze colored dragon. "Aemond has sworn his alliance to Rhaenyra? But why?" Aegon scoffed humorlessly, "are you truly that blind, mother? It is because of Aelora. He has fallen in love with her and she has persuaded him to follow her into her family's madness."

Alicent swallowed as she held her hand over her heart. Her own child, her precious boy, had betrayed her and their cause. She then locked eyes with Aegon and what she saw was pure angst. They knew they were in trouble, especially since they lost their advantage with Vhagar. Nothing was stopping Rhaenyra from flying to King's Landing to avenge her son, but Alicent started questioning herself. The news of Lucerys would have definitely reached Rhaenyra's ears by now, what could it be that was holding her back?

"I thought the war had started when they crowned you King. I now see that I couldn't have been more wrong," Alicent spoke as she sat down on her son's bed. Aegon took place next to her, his hand hovering over Alicent's, unsure if touching her would be the right thing to do right now. But Aegon still lowered his hand, placing it on top of Alicent's. The Dowager Queen looked emotionless at the wall in front of her. She was waiting for her father to return, he would know what to do.

Aegon looked down at his hands as he slowly caressed his mother's. "There is nothing I've ever wanted more than your love, mother." His voice croaked as he spoke the words he was terrified of. Alicent turned her head to her son's. She cupped his cheeks as she placed a kiss on his forehead. "You are my son, but you are such a fucking imbecile."

They turned around as a knock sounded on the door. Alicent and Aegon shared a confusing look before Aegon stood up to grant access to the person standing on the other side.

Larys Strong stood smiling as he tried to keep his balance. If there was one person who knew everything, it was him.

He knew of Lucerys' death, for he was the one who persuaded Aegon to go to Storm's End himself.
Rhaenyra's murder, he had convinced Otto to get her out of the way by attacking from afar.
Otto's murder, he knew her husband and daughter wouldn't leave it at that, and that is what he had hoped for. With Otto out of the way, he could speak his lies more easily into Alicent's ears.
And Aemond's marriage to Princess Aelora, he had seen the Prince help the Princess to get out of King's Landing, and he did nothing to stop him. Instead he started working with multiple men on devices for their dragons, ones that could kill them with only one crossbow bolt.

He could have told Alicent all of this, but that would have been boring for him. He'd rather wait for her to see it herself. He needed her to become vengeful with the Blacks for the murder of her father. And for that, he had called in reinforcements.

"Your Grace, Lady Alicent, I bring news." Larys suggested them to follow him to the Throne room, to which Aegon and Alicent obliged. The room was completely empty, except from a few guards. Larys stopped in front of the Throne, Aegon and Alicent standing before him. "What news do you have for us, lord Strong?" Alicent didn't have time for useless people. War was coming and they needed to prepare themselves, and they needed to do it fast. The Dowager Queen raised her eyebrows at the lord, but he only answered her with a smile.

"What a disaster this place has become," a voice echoed. Alicent's head turned instantly around, her mouth wide open as she looked at the person walking toward them. Aegon's lips curled in a smile as he saw the white hair that belonged to his beloved brother.

"Let us be quick with this, I do not have all day." Daeron spoke as he smiled.

✺✺✺

i apologise for the very delayed chapter :')
life's kicking my ass but we stay strong

anyways i hope you have a good day/night :3