𝟏𝟏

↬ 

𝐅𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫'𝐬 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫. (𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈)

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 to look at the Iron Throne without its respectful King sitting on it. There was no Targaryen present up there, only a Hightower. Aelora looked at her father who was already thinking further than her. Her nails found themselves pressing in her hands again. Her nerves were close to taking over, but when she looked at her brothers she knew she had to be the strong sibling.

Otto began speaking, "though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark." He took a pause. "As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters," he then continued. Aelora blew a piece of hair out of her face as she saw him taking place on the throne of her grandsire. "He's too comfortable up there," she whispered to her father. He responded to her with a smirk. "They'll get what they deserve, Aelora." She crossed her arms across her chest as she kept her eyes on Otto. She would sneak a peek of Aemond from time to time, but she remembered the events that took place the day before. She felt stupid, and so ashamed. She should've been smarter. They both knew the risks, but they both didn't care. And look where it got them- discovered.

"The crown will now hear the petitions," Otto finally said. The first one up was Vaemond Velaryon, Corlys Velaryon's brother. Vaemond turned his attention to Luke for a split second but then walked to the middle of the crowd. Aelora felt uneasy, like someone was staring at her. She moved her eyes from Vaemond to the man across from her. Aemond stood next to his siblings as he shot her a smirk. Aelora kept eye contact, but her body didn't react to it, she wouldn't let it. She couldn't.

Daemon looked like he was ready to go to war. Especially for his children, even if some of them weren't his. Vaemond turned to Alicent, "my Queen." Then to Otto, "my lord Hand."

"The history of our noble houses extends to beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria." Rhaenyra faced the floor as he continued speaking. "For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas." Aelora's eyes moved to Princess Rhaenys and Baela who stood a little further than where they were standing. She couldn't read the looks on their faces, but she knew them. And they would do what it right. "When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name," Vaemond declared. Daemon looked over to Rhaenyra who gave him a soft nod in return. Aelora didn't know what they were planning, but whatever it was she was in. "I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood." Vaemond tilted his head slightly back. "The true, impeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

Rhaenyra couldn't stand the shame that her son was facing for something that he had no control over. "As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon," she interrupted. "If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir." She spat her words at him, filled with hatred. She started to get angrier by the minute. "No, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition." Rhaenyra was ready to go on but the Queen stopped her. "You will have chance to make your own petition, princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard," Alicent spoke. Vaemond turned to Rhaenyra with a vile grin. Rhaenyra turned her face away, right at the second where Aelora scoffed at the man, loud enough for him to ear. His eyes narrowed on the princess. Aemond's lips parted slightly, ready to take action if needed. Even though he couldn't see his face, he could read his thoughts, they were obvious. And he didn't like them. Vaemond didn't respond to Aelora, which was for his own safety because Daemon's fingers were growing itchy to start something that would end with someone losing their head.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess?" Vaemond asked Rhaenyra. Her eyes never met his. "I could cut my veins and show it to you, and you still wouldn't recognize it." Aelora took her bottom lip between her teeth and bit on it, hard. Control your temper. There was nothing more that Aemond wanted to do than just run over to her and hold her hand. Although he felt slightly happy that Luke was getting what he supposedly deserved, he didn't like the Princess feeling this way because of it. "This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours," Vaemond reminded her. His eyes then stayed on Luke a little too long for Aelora's liking. Daemon felt the agitated Princess next to him and placed a hand on her lower back. "I know." Were the only words he whispered to her. Daemon and Aelora were a little too similar for some people's liking. They saw how much she started to act like him, and they didn't like that. They didn't want a Princess as reckless as he was, but little did they know that that's exactly what they would be getting.

Vaemond shifted to Otto Hightower. "My Queen, My lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition." Luke and Jace's eyes moved to Aemond. Jacaerys followed his look and it landed on his sister. An angry grunt left his mouth, there was no way that his sister would ever start something with someone like him, not after what happened. Aemond just shot Jacaerys a smirk in response. Vaemond continued speaking, "I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor. The lord of Driftmark and lord of the Tides."

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond," Otto spoke. Vaemond gave Luke one last look before walking back to his place. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son Lucerys Velaryon." Rhaenyra squeezed tightly in Luke's hand before walking to the center. Her hands were folded in front of her, "if I am to grace this farces with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very-" Rhaenyra's words cut short as the sound of the large brown doors opening echoed through the room. Everybody's heads turned, revealing no one other than King Viserys making his way to his Throne. "King Viserys of House Targaryen, the first of His name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."

Now this was going to be interesting.

✺✺✺