Loss (Teddy)

'Have you seen Teddy?' I ask Cristina. 'No, sorry.' She pushes past me. 'Meredith, have you seen Teddy?' Meredith looks at me funny. 'Why?' She winks. 'I need her for a consult.' Meredith's smile drops. 'Oh that's boring, i thought you were bringing her out. I haven't seen her.' I groan and walk away. I've paged her 12 times and i need her. I don't want to admit it but I miss her. It's been all day and she hasn't even hugged me.

Eventually i find her in the library with Owen. I'm about to walk in when I hear her yelling. 'IM NOT IN LOVE WITH Y/N! I LOVE YOU OWEN.' Immediately my heart drops and i nearly throw up. I sit on thé ground outside until she sees me. 'Hey.' She says. I don't talk to her, I turn and go to Arizona.

'She doesn't like me.' I say. Arizona is my "twisted sister". I go to her about everything and she does the same with me. 'Sounds fun.' She's not paying attention. 'She doesn't love me, Zona! And i love her.' She looks up. 'Oh. Owen?' I nod. 'Oh.' I sit on the couch and sigh loudly. 'Y/n?' Teddy opens the door and i look at Arizona for help, but she shakes her head slightly. 'Y/n, are you okay? I couldn't find you.' I give her the chart i've been carrying around. 'Jane Doe needs a consult.'I say. 'Y/n. What did you hear?' I look at Arizona, then at Teddy. Teddy sits next to me and puts her arm around me, but i flinch away before standing up and walking out.

'Y/n, i'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry.' Teddy stops me. 'You don't have to be sorry. I understand. I just need time.' I say calmly as if my insides don't feel like they're about to be outside. 'I dont love him, he loves Cristina. I'm sorry.' Her eyes fill with tears and I look down at my feet. 'But you said you love him. You said you don't love me. You said it loud enough the whole hospital heard it. The dead people in the morgue heard it, Teddy. I can't compete with that army carrot anymore. He wins. I love you, goodbye.' I kiss her gently for a long time, trying to savour how her lips feel, her taste of mintiness, her soft surgeon hands on my face, and her tear falling down onto my cheek. I knew it would be the last time i kissed her, and i wanted to savour it. I wanted her to know that i would miss her.

'I love you.' I whisper as we pull away. 'But he loves you less.' She nods and pulls out foreheads together. 'You need that.' She's still crying. 'I love you too.'