Chapter 3.2

After my meeting with Horikita, I begin my walk towards the grocery store. While walking, I took out my phone and checked the time.

8:21 PM.

"It's quite late, huh."

Of course, there were still a good amount of students in the campus. Perhaps they were talking about the special exam.

Maybe I'll take a quick walk around before I go to the grocery store. It's not necessary that I have to go to the store now.

While walking around the campus, I made my way to the perimeter of a park. There I saw a familiar duo.

"I'm surprised they're playing together."

Not wanting to disrupt their match, I made my way towards them, but not to close to the point they will spot me. So I sat down on a nearby bench.

I guess I'll continue seeing this game, though it seems one-sided.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

It is one-sided.

"I wonder why I'm even playing with you..."

"Perhaps you've changed for the better."

"Or the worst..."

"Here, I'll give you a sacrifice. Here, take this."

"You think I'll take that?"

"You don't have much of a choice, don't you?"

The player with the white peices can only sigh before taking the Pawn.

"Now that it's my turn, my Pawn will reach the other side and become a Rook."

"You chose a Rook? Not a Queen?"

"Not every piece needs to be a Queen."

I see, she was going for the type of checkmate in which the other player has no chance of escaping.

"Er...damn. I see what you're doing. I guess I'll go here."

She decided to also make her Pawn be a Queen.

"Good choice that you have a King again, unfortunately."

The player with the black peices picked up her Knight and took the other player's Queen.

"It seems you've forgotten about your Queen."

"Ugh..."

The player who lost her Queen grumbles before moving her Knight towards the two Rooks.

"That's not a good idea, my two Rooks are together. Even if your Knight gets one of my Rooks, the one next to it can simply take it out."

"You got to be..."

The other player moved her white Bishop diagonally downwards.

Two of the black player's Rooks were next to each other in the top right corner.

In other words, the player with the white peices had a plan to defeat her...obviously.

And the player with the black peices wanted to take her King out.

The player with the white peices simply moves her Rook to the far right side.

"Wait a minute...shit SHIT!"

It was a check for the player with the white peices.

"Check. What do you plan to do now? Resign?"

"No, no... I can still manage..."