Chapter 5.2

The air was awkward between us. Me and Haruka weren't saying anything to each other. 

I try to figure out what I should say to her, but no words come out of my mouth. I think she feels the same as well.

We both agreed to get something to drink, since the stores are now open 24/7 with night shifts because of the exam. But the atmosphere is too much for me, is it because of what happened with the others back 10 or 20 minutes ago? No, that's a dumb reason. Is it something else? She doesn't seem to want to talk but I don't think it's because of what I did. 

"Haruka, is something wrong?" I decided to ask. 

"No... I'm just tired."

"That can't be it, you were fine a couple minutes ago. If anything, you were energetic as if you drank a gallon of caffeine."

She definitely cannot be "tired." 

"There's... a lot on my mind... with the whole special exam thing."

"A lot on your mind, huh?"

I have a feeling of what it is but her being worried about the special exam seems to be true.

"What about the special exam? It's mostly just personal rewards and penalties, well, for now. You scared about getting expelled?"

"Shouldn't you be the one who should be worrying about getting expelled, Miyachi?"

I guess she has a point, heh...

"Fair point. But, uh... It's something else, right? Something unrelated with the special exam?"

If it was about the special exam, she would've talked to me about it for 3 hours straight.  But she technically didn't. She just said this exam's interesting and that's it. Considering what's been happening this school year in our class, it's for sure personal.

"Hey, Miyachi. Can I tell you something?"

"Shoot."

"Did you know that I used to love Ayanokouji?"

... Love? Ayanokouji?

"... What?"

"Yeah, that used to be back then though. I hid my feelings for him after Airi told me that she loved him."

"I see..."

I felt sad, but I guess I can see her point. Ayanokouji's better than me in any way imaginable. Heck, after that math test, he's probably good at a lot of things. Then, I remembered something.

Used.

She used to love him, right?

Even then, do I even have a chance with her?

"Yeah... though I'm not interested in him anymore. That feeling's long dead now."

"Right, right..."

But why was she talking about Ayanokouji so suddenly? We were talking about why she was feeling down and...

Then it clicked.

"Haruka, are you feeling down because Ayanokouji isn't in our group anymore?"

That was the most logical conclusion I could come up with.

Even though Ayanokouji pretty much expelled Airi, it wasn't his fault. If anything, even though I was reluctant, I agreed with him. She was simply not the best in our class and didn't contribute much. 

"... You're pretty smart," No, I'm not though? "But you're right, it's because of him. It doesn't feel, right anymore, you know? Both of them not being with us. I was acting like a child back then, 'I'll make my revenge to Airi and bring this class down!' what a joke, ha... But I'm trying to become better now. I just don't know how I'll contribute."