Chapter 18

Marina's P.O.V

We sang our song in front of the class and we got an amazing mark! Everyone was clapping and they were all saying how we should definitely go into the entertainment industry. At break Lana and I sat alone, I needed to talk to her about our future careers. About us.
"Babe..." I sat playing with my food. Lana was throwing lucky charms and trying to catch them in her mouth. "We need to talk about us. I think its pretty clear that we're both going into the entertainment industry. But I don't know what's going to happen to us. Will be be able to stay together when we're trying to persue careers?" She carried on throwing charms, not listening. "Well we're both going to NYU arent we?" I couldn't look her in the face. "Actually, I was thinking of going back to England to study there." She stopped throwing a charm midair and looked at me. "You're gonna leave me?" She was trying not to cry and had a deadpanned expression. "I just thought I have a better chance of making it there." She took her bag and got up, I ran after her. "Elizabeth!" She was running to the bathroom.
Just then the bell wrang. I knew I should head off to my next class, so I went, thinking Liz would be sensible and come too. She didn't. I made up an excuse for her and said she went to the nurse's office so that he wouldn't get in trouble. At the end of school I went back to the bathroom. "Elizabeth? Love." I was crawling on the floor, trying to look in the stalls if I could see her. I heard sobs coming from the third door, I crawled over and saw her bag there. "Elizabeth, open for me love." There were more sobs and it was clear she wasn't going to open the door. I sat on the floor with my back on the door. My pink polkadot 50's style dress was getting dirty, but I didn't care. I kicked off my heel and sighed. Then I tried to get through to her by singing.

You bought a star
In the sky tonight
Because your life is dark
You named it after me
But I'm not yours to keep
Because you'll never see
That the stars are free
Oh, we don't own our heavens
No, we only own our hell
And if you don't know that by now
Then you don't know me that well
All my life I've been so lonely
All in the name of being holy

Lana started crying louder. I didn't know what to do. I got up, put my heels back on and left.