52. ROMEO

Delilah is sitting at the beach, alone. She's fully clothed and just digging her hand through the sand and letting it fall between her fingers.

"Don't." Leo says to me. "You're only going to annoy her."

"I haven't seen her in two weeks." I push his shoulder, walking past him. I stop walking first and turn to look at the cafe.

I walk in, "Can I get a Ocean Lemonade with extra pineapple and apple boba?"

"Of course. That'll be $7."

I buy one of Delilah's preferred pastries with that and pay. Once it's out, I walk to her.

I sit beside her.

She's so skinny.

Her eyes flick to me and she sucks in a breath.

I don't know where she's been the last two weeks. I couldn't track her anywhere. I checked everywhere. She didn't show up to any of her classes, didn't show up to work, didn't go to the cat cafe, homeless shelter; she just disappeared.

"It's the ocean lemonade drink." I push it further to her, "And a danish."

"Thank you." She brings her knees to her chest.

I can just tell she's lost so much weight, I can see it in her face. Her eyes even look sunken.

I look out to the sea, "I want to start therapy."

"That's good." Her voice croaks.

"But only if I know you're going to be with me."

She sighs, "you don't just hurt me, Romeo. You hurt your siblings too. You need therapy, not for me. For them... for you."

She's so selfless.

Matteo and Ilaria haven't spoken to me in two weeks. Mom barely looks at me. Dad has been staying with me because he's scared I'm going to try and hurt myself. Asher won't answer my texts or calls. Luca's in Italy with the twins and I don't want to ruin their vacation.

They've isolated me and I know it's my fault, but it's weird seeing them stick to their word for once instead of forgiving me.

"If I go to therapy, will it make you happy?" I ask.

"You shouldn't go to therapy for me." She clears her throat, then picks up the drink and sips on it. "You should go for you."

I didn't udnerstand what she meant so I look back out to the sea.

"Why are you showing your face all of a sudden?" I ask. "You were doing a damn good job staying hidden."

She holds her throat, she does that when she's about to cry. "I knew you'd find me." She says quietly. "I just... I need my things."

"Where are you going to go?"

"I'm staying with a friend."

"Who?"

"You're not my boyfriend anymore. You don't get to-"

"Who, Delilah?"

"I'm not telling you. You'll only force them and threaten them to give me to you." She shakes her head, she looks behind me and frowns a little. "You have company."

I turn to look at Lorenzo, holding a gun. My men got distracted at Leo being kidnapped and let Lorenzo go. We couldn't find him for a while either.

Why the fuck is she just sitting here? Does she have a death wish?

I pull my gun out of my pocket, standing up.

Lorenzo points the gun to Delilah instead.

I didn't need to, I really didn't need to. But I wanted to feel her.