{chapter 10} The Moonpool (medicine Cats)

Timberpaw was awoken by the sound of little pawsteps in the den, he silently got up and peeked into the little open areas of the lichen overhang.

A little mew came from the sick cats area. Silently, he moved the lichen overhang, turning his head to check if his mentor was still asleep, and she was, curled up and peacefully dreaming.

He walked with light pawsteps and soon found none other then Firekit and Graykit sniffing around the sick cats den.

He cracked a smile as he sat down watching the kits, after a few heartbeats he decided to get them back to their mother.

And wow, those kits had energy and strength to even play or walk even if they can barely see.

"hello there." TimberPaw said in a friendly tone and pounding his paws-not too hard- on the ground incase the kits only followed the blood scent of his own mother.

The kits couldn't see yet but felt the pounding and used their weak scenting abilities to find him, sure they could play already with their other senses but they couldn't see yet.

The kits mewed a hello, they moved between his paws, they were lost and TimberPaw realized that.

He glanced at his sleeping mother, who had woken up earlier after being unconscious since she got attacked.

He looked back at the kits "follow my scent and stay between my paws I'll get you back to your mom." he instructed and moved his paw slightly with the kits following.

He walked a few steps glancing down at the kits to see if they followed and they did.

He walked with pounding slightly harder then normal but it was needed for the kits to follow.

Slowly and half struggling across the clearing with the kits he eventually made it to the nursery, SandStorm was sleeping, not noticing her kits weren't there.

He nudged the kits to their mother and told them to stay there. Which they did as he walked back to the medicine den he saw the first light rays shining into the silent camp.

Being not in the mood to go back to sleep, more out of excitement that tonight was half-moon and he'd be traveling to the Moonpool with RainWhiskers, he decided to check on his mother.

Walking through the lichen overhang and checking if RainWhiskers was awake or not, he walked into the sick cats den and saw his mother awake.

With a purr he announced he was there and walked towards her, she turned her head with a smile and mewed a greeting "hello, TimberPaw." she mewed friendly.

"how'd you sleep mom?" he asked with a slight tone of worry "I slept good enough." she purred.

"I'll get RainWhiskers to check on you while I'll hunt something for you!" TimberPaw heard the rumble of his mother's stomach and quickly wanting to go out and hunt to get her something fresh and warm, the fresh-kill pile was empty too.

She nodded as her son trotted out of the sick cats den and pushed through the lichen overhang.

"RainWhiskers," he said sitting down with his tail twitching in impatience "what is it?" her head rose from the moss and looked at her apprentice "I'm going hunting for Aquawhisper, could you check on her? She's awake." he quickly said as he stood up.

She grumbled a fine as she got up and padded out of the den and into the sick cats den while TimberPaw raced out of there and accros the clearing and into the thorn tunnel.

And just to make it up to his mentor for waking her up early he'd go and find some horsetail, which they needed.

He quickly found the scent of a mouse close by and wasted no time in catching it, he raced back down to the hollow and entered through the thorn tunnel.