{chapter 13} Safety Of ThunderClan (HazelPaw And RunningPelt)

The hazel eyed tom ran through the undergrowth of the ThunderClan territory with his mentor while the thunderClan deputy was after them with his nephew.

"TimberPaw on your right!" the deputys mew came from behind me, I turned my head to look. TimberPaw almost ran into a tree while he was focused on us.

"faster HazelPaw!" RunningPelts mew came from my right while I picked up the pace, feeling the pawsteps from the ThunderClan cats nearing once again.

I jumped over a fallen tree trunk, I lost my footing and slipped. I looked behind me to find the deputy jumping over the fallen tree. I got pulled up by my scruff by RunningPelt while i was scrambling trying to get up.

The deputys paws, along with TimberPaw, landed right where I slipped moment ago. My paws thundered on snowy floor while I followed RunningPelt.

Returning to our own territory wasn't an option, let's just say if you can't hunt your no use in shadowclan these days.

My belly was hurting from lack of food and my paws were aching, I looked behind me and didn't see the two thunderClan cats. I skidded to a halt, RunningPelt, who noticed, stopped too.

He opened his mouth slightly and saw a mouse, it's tail was stuck in a bush and somehow couldn't escape. A second mouse appeared trying to free its mate.

We stared at them until i finally had enough and freed the mouse, both mice ran away.

We weren't going to hunt them, it's thunderClans prey not ours. And we respected that, even if they didn't.

RunningPelt was staring at the flowing water in the distance, HazelPaw looked at the way we came from. RunningPelt walked towards the flowing water.

HazelPaw followed his mentor, the water was frozen uphill but the water flowed underneath, the edges of the flowing water were already frozen and it was spreading each day.

"drink." RunningPelt urged while he leaned down himself to lap up the cold, clear substance. HazelPaw didn't hesitate to drink the water.

HazelPaw finished lapping up the cool water and turned to see a thrush drinking a few tail-lengths away, it stood on a piece of ice on the line of the border between thunderClan and WindClan. Meaning, it didn't belong to either clan.

HazelPaws eyes lighted up, he turned his body to the right and ran towards it, RunningPelt looked up at him "HazelPaw wait!" he dashed after his apprentice.

HazelPaw and ran on the little part on the snow covered earth before reaching the water, soon getting ready to leap up at the thrush in one movement. The thrush was drinking from a hole in the half frozen river, HazelPaw leaped up at the prey.

"I found them!" RunningPelt heard behind him, but it was too late already. His apprentice landed on the ice and in a heartbeat the ice broke beneath his paws.

HazelPaws heart was beating fast and his eyes were as wide as the moon when his muzzle went beneath the water.

HazelPaw pushed his hindpaws on the floor of the river, pushing himself up. His muzzle reached out into the cold air as gasped for breath as all his instincts told him to paddle as hard as he can with his long paws.

He tried staying above water as the current took him downstream towards the lake. His mentor was running towards him while the water and wind were deafening him from hearing anything.

He saw the two ThunderClan cats approaching, TimberPaw ran towards RunningPelt pelt while the deputy came towards HazelPaw who struggled to stay above water.

The deputy was as fast as the current and grasped HazelPaw by his scruff as his muzzle went underwater again.

SilentStone heaved him out and let him go. RunningPelt came running with TimberPaw trailing behind him, the older medicine cat stopped next to his apprentice.