-one-

Unpublished the old version because it needs a lot of editing. Hopefully, this will have a better plot.

©Briana Diche 2017

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1

"Good Morning, baby!" My mom woke me up by shouting and sliding the curtains, allowing more sunlight to seep in than I ever wanted. Squinting as I raise my head, I think of what might've caused my mom to be more enthusiastic than any other morning.

"Get up! Breakfast is ready, and today is the last day before Christmas Break."

Yes! I thought. My body shot up, and my feet reached for the hardwood floor, running to the dining before all those tasty meals on the table are gone. I saw my brother, Damien, eating pancakes beside my dad, who was almost ready for work. He always leaves the buttons of his polo shirt open when it's breakfast. Dad is a business man, producing identification cards, invitations, calling cards, and many other products printing companies have. My dad's carbon copy, Damien, is in his last year in college. I greeted them with a sigh, and joined them on the table. The smell of sweet hot cocoa and maple syrup was luring. I can be crazy when it's food.

Today is the last day of school before Christmas break. Junior year is more tiring than I ever thought it would be, contradicting my smart-ass brother's statement, which was, "Junior Year was chill."

My phone blares Blood by My Chemical Romance, a ringtone I set for a specific person. Without glancing, I greeted Ron with a plain hi and asked him if he's on his way. Only did I remember we live few house down each other and our other friend, Bethany. I regretted the plain hi at the last minute because Bethany, basing from that voice crack, bursts into tears.

"Emmie," she whispered.

I groan. "Not again."

There was shuffling before someone spoke again. "This is Ron."

"Ronney, hi."

"Emerald, hi," he mimicks. "We'll be there in a few minutes."

I said I'll be ready and dropped the call to change. After showering, I changed to a comfortable pair of jeans, a white t-shirt that was tucked in the front, and my old pair of white converse. "What's different? " I thought.

I say goodbye to mom and dad when I heard the loud honking of Ron. This must be serious if Beth was crying. As usual my goodbye with my loving, smart-ass brother was a tight hug, an insult, and a pat on the back. Weird, I know.

I hurriedly get in Ron's car to check on Beth. I'm very sure he did this again. "What happened?" I asked carefully.

"She was called butter face, and had her twitter flooding with notifications of edited pictures. You know what I mean by edited pictures." Ron explained.

What on fucking earth is new?

Conner Vincent is a new bully. He's not a new student who started bullying people rather a good person turned bad. He's not the first person to have such transformation, but he has it worse as if it's some type of virus that is eating his morals alive.

Anyway, when we got to school, I saw him standing and getting his stuff while being surrounded by his two buddies. Sadly, his locker is beside mine while Ron and Beth is 4 lockers away. His friends always block my locker, wasting some of my golden time which was really annoying, but I didn't want to make any interactions with them. I just enter my code and get whatever I need without politely asking to move.

Everyone is on their way to their classes when I confronted him. I never liked drama, and have never been involved in one. It's the last thing I ever want to do that will ruin my records in school. I grabbed him by the shoulder without a second thought. "What is wrong with you Conner? You called my best friend butter face then you spread stupid rumors? What's gotten into you?!"

"I told her to get me closer to you Emmie. She doesn't want to because and I quote, I'm protecting her from a shit head like you. I mean she barely knows. You're pretty, you know. Maybe I can take you out." He winks and smirks.

I blushed.

"He likes you," Beth whispered in my ear.

"Anything else to say sweetheart? Think of what to say before fighting okay?" The guys watching were giving me 'Ooohs!'

With a few words like that, I take him by the collar and knee his balls, pushing him to the ground. Funny how he acts tough in front of everyone, yet a simple kick could crumble him. Luckily, no teacher saw me. I glare at him one last time before walking away with my friends trailing behind me.

I wonder why I used to call him my best friend.