-two-

After the last class before recess, I see Ron and Beth waiting outside, Ron leaning on the door while Beth stands awkwardly next to him.

"Emmie," they called. As I exit the classroom, I hear whispering. Some were even staring at me like I've grown a second head, or I've opened a third eye on my forehead. Even if I tell the people staring at me to piss off, whatever is circulating in this school will never disappear. I can tell by the way my friends were staring at me that something was wrong, and it was all about me.

"Before we eat," I say as I scan the hallway. "Can you fill me in with whatever is going on? It seems like I'm involved, or whatever the gossip is revolves around me."

"See," Ron began nervously. "This video, which you might've forgotten, was released by someone. It's you and two other guys from this school."

"You mean the..." I tried to continue, but even without Ron or Beth telling me, I knew what it was already.

Beth stands next to me and wrap me in a tight hug. How can this be any worse? Of all the things that could happen on the last day before Christmas break, why choose to embarrass me? I didn't have to ask who or how it was out in a span of a minute. Laughter was echoing in the hallway. I grab my friends' hands and lead them to the cafeteria before everyone passing me by make fun of me.

Beth showed me the video, and it is not the first, second, or third time I've seen this. Holding in my tears seemed impossible because this video was last year. I made a deal with Conner not to release the video if I go out with him this year, but it slipped out of my mind. I felt embarrassed.

When the spoiled rich kids passed by, they were looking at my way and were saying something like, 'how fun was that?' or 'was it great?'. The basketball captain and his friends saw me and said, "Hey sweetheart!"

Everyone laughed. It is barely half the day, and drama was starting.

"Ron," I called, starting to cry. "Could you please bring me home?"

"Why? There is sti--"

I interrupted. I felt so embarrassed. Others were staring. The whispering continued. I never wanted that to happen, but I was out of my mind to even make the right decision. "Just drive me home."

"But Emmie."

"No! Just bring me home." Ron nods. Beth said she'll wait for Ron in front of the Biology laboratory before we left school. When I came home, I ran up making sure that Mom won't see me or know that I skipped half of the day in school.

"Will you be okay while I'm in school? I can't skip. I need a clean record after all of my tardiness last year."

"Not really, but I'll be fine. I'll wait for you and Beth. It's not like I'll be doing something stupid."

"Right. I'll see you later," he said before closing the door of my room.

Mom woke me up, but I was greeted by the lights from the hallway instead of the sun. Then, I remembered how the day just turned into a load of shit. "Hey sweetie. I know what happened. I will not talk about it if you don't want to, but I could help you. Get up and go down, okay? Dinner is ready."

I smiled. She really knows how to comfort me. "I'll be down in a minute."

"Okay sweetie. Ron and I will wait for you."

I stood up and stretched, trying my best to take my mind off of that video. Ron, Damien, and Dad were seated on the couch, watching a basketball game while waiting for the food to be ready. When Mom called, we all gathered in the dining room and sat down.

"Smells like heaven, Mrs. Sommers." Ron said politely with a smile on his face. Mom returned the gesture and thanked Ron.

"Hey Ron. Want to play our favorite game ? Do you still remember?" Damien asked.

"Sounds good to me. Anyway it is Christmas Break so no problem."

It was quite quiet after that. I helped mom wash the dishes, and Damien and Dad cleaned up the table while Ron is waiting. I stayed up all night watching some TV series while Ron and Damien played some video games.

If things were different, maybe this wouldn't happen. If I didn't do that dumb thing, I could've saved myself and my reputation. Just the thought of it made me cry, but I try to hold it in so that Damien and Ron won't hear it.

I wipe away the tears that were about to spill. It wasn't worth my tears or my time anyway.