-seventeen: First Step-

Worst morning ever. Well, not really the worst in my whole life. I woke up freezing on the cold floor. Another thing is that I remembered about my mom's best friend, my second mother, Marla. I went down to eat breakfast and looked at the clock in the living room. It read 12. Wow, I woke up late.

It's lunch. When I got there, it was very silent. Mom just sat there not eating. Dad is just reading his newspaper and drinking his coffee and Damien just kept eating his sandwich. I sat down beside Damien and took the last piece of chicken on the table and put some vegetables on my plate. I poured some gravy then started eating. I stood up and took a mug out of the cupboard and poured some hot chocolate. I went back to my seat and started eating again.

"When is the funeral?" Damien asked.

I know what he feels. He feels like we lost our own mother. I feel exactly the same way.

"Thursday, the day the Brooks will leave." Dad replied.

"M&M," I looked at Damien and he raised an eyebrow. "Ron will be leaving?"

"Yes. They're going to Tennessee and will be back on or before New Years Eve. Why?"

"Uh. Just asking." I continued eating.

After eating, I stood up and spoke.

"Okay. Umm... I'll go out for a walk."

I went up to my room and took a shower. After taking a shower, I went out to see what I have that I can wear on a very snowy day. I took my time and finally found something to wear. I wore my yellow v neck under my embroidered sweater, my mint green jeans and my white converse. I also wore my white beanie and white scarf. Wow! What's with white? I put my Galaxy S2 in my pocket and five dollars in my other pocket. I went down and walked out of the house.

Tomorrow is Christmas. There's nothing to do today so I'm going to the nearest mall and buy gifts then wait for Christmas Eve and Christmas.

I passed by the park and when I got a little bit far, I looked back to see if anyone was there. There is a guy sitting on the swing with his head in his hands. He is wearing a very familiar shoes. He's wearing a pair of shoes with a comic of Justice League as a design. I've seen that before. Hmm...... Ahh! Conner's favorite pair of shoes. But what is he doing here. Shouldn't he be beside his family? His mom? I guess he went out to clear his mind. I went to where he sat and stood in front of him.

"Hey." I said to make him look up. He didn't. "Conner, I'm sorry. Am I disturbing you?" He didn't say anything. He removed his right hand that was covering his face and covered his mouth with his left hand. He cried harder.

"I'm sorry. I-" I stopped when he shook his head.

"She's gone." He said.

"I know. I feel the same way, Conner. It's like losing my other mother. The mother who was happy and cared so much that it covered her pain. I didn't know she had cancer." I sat down on the snow covered ground beside the swing then tears slowly started to flow. Later, Conner sat beside me.

Long moments of silence and more crying. That's all that is happening right now. I hugged Conner and he hugged me as well. We held each other for minutes and just about it.

"I have to go. We've been here for one hours. I still have to go to the mall and surely, my parents will look for me later." He let go of me and looked at his watch.

"I'm going. Want to come?" I asked. I stood up and put my hand out to help him get on his feet. He shook his head.

"We'll explain tomorrow. I'll see you tomorrow, Emmie."