-nineteen-

I haven't gotten any messages or calls from the guy, Tyler and the gang. Everything's fine for now. Marla is in a good place now. Everyone is back to normal the day after the funeral. Today is the day before New Year. We will gather in the Vincents' house with the Brooks and some other friends. Mom and I have been preparing food since I got down from my room this morning.

It's only 12 in the afternoon. Mom and Dad are having lunch out with a friend and Damien and Cassy are having lunch out, too, with their college friends.

Here I am in Beth's house having lunch with them. Her parents sat on both ends of the table. Wesley sat at Beth's left and Beth's little sister, Mandy, sat at her right while Lys and I sat beside each other.

"So Wesley," Wes looked up at Mr. Martinez, waiting for him to continue," Where do you plan to go to college?"

"California or here, Sir."

"Mhm. I hope you pass. Beth might stay here." I looked at Beth. She rolled her eyes. It's been her dream to go to California and go to college there.

"How about you two? Emmie and..."

"Alyssa." Lys said.

"Alyssa." Mr. Martinez repeated.

"I might go back to our place in Wisconsin or here." Alyssa said.

"Emmie?" Mr. Martinez called.

"Might go back to Tennessee or here, too." I said.

"Why don't the three of you just stay here?" Mr. Martinez asked Lys, Wes and I.

"I'm still not sure. Still deciding, Sir." Wes said.

"Same." Lys and I said in unison.

After Lunch, Wesley, Beth, Lys and I went to the park. When we got there, we saw someone sitting on the bench beside the slide. He's blonde and familiar. Tyler. Holy cow! I'm panicking inside. What will I do? I just can't make an excuse that I have to go somewhere and go home. I promised them this day.

"Earth to Emerald Fatima Sommers!" I snapped out of my thoughts when Beth spoke and tried to zone me in. "Why are you just standing there? Is everything okay?"

"Yes Wesley. I'm fine."

I looked at Alyssa who is now sitting on the swing. "Let's go. Oh and I'll sit on the swing. First." I said and smiled. I know Beth loves the swing and I do as well. I remember the last time we fought about who sits on the swing was last year. Ron sat on the other swing while we debate on who sits. We were like 4 year old kids last year.

When we were a feet away from Alyssa, someone came out from behind the trees and grabbed Alyssa. I didn't see his face since he was wearing a fancy mask. "GET OFF ME!" Alyssa shouted and tried to get out of the guy's arm. We ran to her. Wesley pulled her then started beating the guy.

"Run!" Wesley shouted. The words were floating then I finally processed what Wes tried to say.

I'm so out today. The three of us ran and I was behind Alyssa and Beth. I stopped a few feet away from the park while they ran. I can't just leave him there fighting. He's my friend. I went back to help Wesley. I looked for Tyler but he was gone.

"AHHH!" I screamed. I turned around and put my hand on my chest. I was so scared someone touched my shoulder. When I turned around, it was Wesley.

"Chill girl! We have to go back before he tries to get us." I nodded. I looked back to where Wes knocked the dude out. He's still conscious but his nose was bleeding. I looked at the snow around him. It's covered with blood.