Chapter 37

"Mom!" Dani yelled from the top of the stairs. "Have you seen my green sweater!?"

"Your green one? I think it's sitting on top of the dryer waiting to be put away. You know, with all the other clothes I told you to put away."

Sighing, Dani raced down the stairs and into the laundry room, relieved to see her green sweater sitting right on top of the pile. Grabbing it, she pulled it on over her t-shirt and then raced back through the house.

"Jesus Dani, calm down," her mom laughed. "It's just Eddie."

"I know but he's going to be here any minute and I'm not ready," she huffed, running into the bathroom to do her make-up and fix her hair.

Her mom appeared in the doorway, looking amused. She leaned against the doorframe, smiling at Dani in the mirror as she applied mascara.

"I know it's your first Valentine's Day as an actual couple but it's still just Eddie," her mom reminded her. "He's seen you at your very worst, Dani. He's not going to be upset if he shows up and you aren't glammed up."

"He planned a special night for us," she explained, grabbing her spray bottle and spritzing her hair all over. "Mom, he's so excited about it. You should have seen his face. I just want to make sure everything's perfect." Flipping her head forward, she scrunched her hair with her fingers, fluffing up her curls before flipping her head back. "I know it's Eddie and we've spent Valentine's Day together before but this just feels different. I don't want to get all complacent just because we were friends before. I want to wow him."

It was true. Her and Eddie had spent Valentine's Day together every year. They laughed at the bullshit Hallmark holiday and the couples that got all wrapped up in it. In protest they watched horror films and stayed in, ordering pizza or grabbing something from one of the restaurants downtown. But now they were that couple and she couldn't help the nerves she was feeling.

"You could wow him in your pajamas with no make-up and serious bedhead Dani," her mom assured. "You look beautiful but Eddie always thinks you're beautiful. You're talking about a guy who has seen you ugly cry, seen you vomit, seen you looking like you're on your deathbed. He loves you baby."

"I know," Dani smiled, kissing her mom on the cheek. "I know he does." She blew out a slow breath, leaning back against the bathroom counter. "I just...I don't know. It's been just a little over two months and everything is so perfect. I am so damn happy. I just keep waiting for something to happen. I mean, can any person really be this happy?"

Her mom laughed, moving next to her, bumping her hip gently against her, "That, my dear, is called being in love and it's pretty amazing, isn't it? That's exactly how I felt with your dad and it never changed. I know you're a glass half empty kind of girl but don't focus on what could go wrong, Dani. Focus on everything that is so right. You and Eddie are so right. I've always known it. From the moment you brought that sweet little boy home with you from school, I knew he was special. You two just had it, you know? You didn't even have to try. You seemed like two halves of a whole, a package deal. Trust me, embrace happiness because this is so right."

Dani rested her head on her mom's shoulder, "I think I found what you and dad had."

"Oh, I know you did."

"Where's my valentine!?" came Eddie's voice from downstairs.

"And there he is," her mom laughed. "You better get down there before he comes hunting for you."

Dani grinned, heading down the stairs. Eddie had told her to dress warm so she was layered up appropriately for an Indiana February. She had worn leggings under her dark jeans and her green sweater over a thermal t-shirt. Once she added her coat, hat, and gloves, she would be perfectly toasty while exposed to the elements.