Chapter 46

"You girls look so beautiful," Dani's mom said, tears sparkling in her eyes. She turned to Dani, taking her hands. "Sweetie, this dress is so perfect."

"Isn't it?" Robin asked with a grin. "I knew the moment I saw it that it was the dress."

"You were right," her mom agreed. "Okay, I need some pictures before Eddie shows up."

Robin and Vicki had come over a couple hours ago to get ready with Dani. Vicki had been in charge of make-up and hair since Robin pretty much threw her hands up where that was concerned. Eddie was picking up Dustin and Mike and then coming to get them. Gareth and Jeff were going to meet them at the school. The three girls followed Dani's mom down the stairs and posed for pictures. Just about the time Dani was done and going to tell her mom so, she heard the familiar sound of Eddie's van.

"Here we go!" Robin shrieked. "Get the camera ready! I want a picture of Eddie's face when he sees Dani. Oh! Go upstairs and we'll call you down so he can get the full effect."

"Robin, that's so unnec..."

"No, it's absolutely necessary," Vicki argued. "Go!"

Dani sighed, turning and heading up the stairs just as she heard the front door open.

"Eddie!" she heard her mom exclaim. "Oh my god. You look so handsome!"

"Thanks mama," Eddie replied. "You ladies look lovely. Where's Dani?"

"Oh, she's upstairs waiting to make her grand entrance," Robin said and Dani could hear the smirk in her words. "Dani! Your metalhead is waiting!"

Dani took a deep breath, preparing herself. Placing one hand on the banister, she slowly made her way down the steps. Dani was trying to be careful in the heels she didn't normally wear so she didn't make a grand entrance by falling on her face.

Eddie came into sight and she almost lost her balance right then. He looked so gorgeous in black dress pants and a red button down shirt. He had the sleeves rolled up, highlighting the tattoos on his arms. Two of the buttons were undone, providing her a delicious peek of his chest. His hair was pulled back into a low bun, a few tendrils of waves framing his face. Jesus Christ. Dani had to fight the urge to tell him they could skip the dance and just get right to the plans she had for later.

"Goddamn..." Eddie breathed softly, his eyes raking over her, taking in every inch. "I think I forgot how to breathe."

"Now, that's how a man should react when he sees his beautiful girlfriend," her mom said with a smile.

"Did you get the picture?" Robin asked. Her mom passed Robin the polaroid and she immediately began shaking it to get to develop, impatient. As the image appeared, Robin made a sound of delight. "Oh my god...that is perfect."

Eddie closed the distance between them, taking Dani's hands in his. "You look, I don't even think there are words to describe how goddamn gorgeous you are."

Heat flushed her face as she smiled at him, "You look pretty damn good yourself. I'm impressed that you're wearing dress pants. I thought, for sure, you were going to show up in jeans."

"Nah. I said no monkey suit but I can handle some nice pants every now and again," he shrugged. "Besides, it's a special night. I wanted to do everything right by you. Oh!" He paused, turning to the door and opening it, revealing Dustin and Mike on the other side. "Speaking of which..." He held out his hand and Dustin placed a box in it. Eddie opened it, pulling out a corsage that had red roses and baby's breath. He slipped it over her wrist gently. "The lady in the flower shop took pity on me and helped me out. I had no idea what I was doing. So, I hope this is okay."