Chapter 75: Maelyeog (Charm)

I couldn't stop going over what happened that day with the biggest smile on my face every time I had a free moment. The fact that I didn't even hesitate to touch her spoke volumes, it was as easy as breathing being next to her and engaging and eating with someone who didn't have 100 expectations from me all at once, or any at all for that matter. She was the only normalcy in my life that I was desperate to hold onto for dear life now that things between her brother and my father were getting almost out of hand. As much as Hwi was entitled to his rage and impatience I could not let him kill my father...because I was going to as the endgame of all of my goals. My father had plenty of enemies that would happily tear him apart, with the Seo's being the first on that list now, and they could do anything they wanted to him but I was going to be the first to strike him no matter what. The constant conflict between the two of them was the reason why I was holding onto Yeonnie so much more these days, her mere presence provided me with a relief that was entirely unique and one I had never known before. I tried to stick to Hwi's word but I was tired of playing games with Yeon. She was in a sense the object of all this conflict and yet all she did was care about me sincerely. Why did I have to chase anyone for love when I had somebody right under my nose who could take care of me well and do it earnestly and lovingly. And I loved the way she had started taking care of herself more although she wasn't to be blamed for anything she lacked before I had her move in with me. She had an amazing figure that I was kicking myself for not noticing before and she was just so petite and beautiful that I couldn't stop staring at her when I could....even though I had Hui-Jee now...

But if course there had to be something to almost cost me my one course of happiness when the concubine who had stopped her visits since our last encounter, suddenly had the idea to continue them again. And she was starting to become more infatuated with me than even Yeon ever had been, and a lot more enthusiastically now that I thought about it. And due to her pregnancy which I was labelled as responsible for, and there was nothing that I could do until that baby was delivered safely from her. As for my father, he hadn't said anything about it since Yeon told him about her suspicious, but I knew that man better than anyone else. If he was silent, he was always plotting something, and who was i to say or do anything about it? But Yeon was right again, this 'family' situation did give me more respect at work and more time to sort out my impending cases. And it kept my father busy enough to stop torturing Yeon when he was in a bad mood, which I couldn't be more grateful for. He was so frustrated lately that he didn't have the time to interact with her or even care about her enough to check up on her unless she went out on her days off. He had left me something that was mine, until that damned woman started with her antics again. She was forever suffering from some pregnancy symptom that constantly made her sick and call for my attention, but all she was doing was reminding me of all the times myself and my mother fell ill and we were barely allowed treatment due to our low statuses.
"What is it now? What ails you this week? I was right in the middle of work-" "I felt very nauseous and heavy in my chest! It was such a heavy burden that I feared I would die without seeing you one last time husband..." "God give me strength. I thought you were sensible enough to take prenatal medicines without my instructions, what really is the matter with you?" "The concubine has just eaten too much, Young Master, it caused the tightness in her chest. All that she requires are lighter meals and plenty of milk..." "Are you seriously telling me that I ran back from the palace because a damned maid cannot tell the difference between being too full and feeling ill?" "Forgive me husband, i was just to startled..." "All right! I need to return to the palace in a timely manner, lest i loose my job over these simple house visits. Lie back down and have a rest and i shall..." "Will you call upon your cousin to serve me? I see no reason why you..." "Yeon isn't a damned slave! I have just returned my mother's quarters to her and she needs time to settle in all over again!" "Is you concubine mother's quarters more important to you than my pregnancy?" "Is that even a real question? Are you really asking me to choose between my mother and a baby that i share no blood with? What do you think?"