Chapter 78: Dobda (Help)

I knew that sooner or later that I was going to pay for this insult, and I had to prepare myself well for this? But as soon as Yeon arrived, my panic washed away with a single look she gave me. "Young Master, it is deep into the night now and you need to get some sleep to wake up early tomorrow in time for work. You do not have the luxury of getting drunk or drinking tea that will only keep you up at night." She skilfully tried to take away this tea that I was having concerns about, only to be slapped across the face by the concubine who had stopped her pitiful act the moment that she tried to go for it. "You damned servant! How are you try to steal from your superior! You..." "My Lady, according to the moral code of conduct amongst the noble class, one must not cause a scene in another person's house. This is the Nam's residence, and I doubt that you want to prove your power by dominating everyone you come across. Unless you want a husband who you can puppeteer at your will have him become a laughingstock of the entire kingdom."

I was by her side the minute she tried to go for the tea again and I tried to protect her from whatever else the concubine had in mind, only to be pushed away by Yeon who gave her a clear slap in return despite the differences between them.

"Seo Yeon! How dare you hit your superior! Only a lowly thing like you would do such an evil doing! Is there anyone worse in this entire kingdom than you!" But she didn't know who on earth she was dealing with and what she was capable of when Yeon just gave her a pitiful look in return. "I have made this clear to you before that you are not in your own home to act how you please. Only Nam-Jeon and the Young Master are the higher ups here, and you are just an unofficial concubine from a fallen family earring an unknown child. You hold no special title, you yourself have not contributed any merits to this kingdom and it's people, so why can't I hit you in return? Or do you expect your non-existent backers to hold up the sky for you forever? Why should they do that?" "You...you orphan with no backer! You lowborn with no money! You clearly haven't been taught to ingrate yourself with civilised society! How on earth would you know about righteousness and courtesy? Only these uneducated and ill-mannered orphans like you would be as ignorant as you are to your superior and commit such lowly and disgraceful acts! You just wait until I..." "Until you what? Run back to your family because you are unable to handle small matters like a fight on your own? Will you dare to bring your family against the Young Master's, whom you are currently trying to trap as your husband? So you can use him as a pawn against who to raise your status? Will you really ruin your own future prospects by propelling a lowborn like me into your society? Because as you have stated time and time again, if I can actively seduce the Young Master, then I wonder who my next victim will be?"

Underneath all of her new etiquette and mannerisms, Yeon was a real lioness when it came to her loved ones and she didn't care one bit about how she looked or came across. She didn't get emotional anymore like she used to when she was defenceless, her cool and calm manner really did impress me and she didn't mince her words at all. And there was a very clear moment between us in spite of the chaos that we just looked at each other and we...well I have no idea about her but I...I actually felt very safe around her. She only carried out a small gesture, but for me it meant so much. Myself and Hwi had each other's backs our entire lives, but we could not defy our birthrights to defend each other. Whilst Yeon on the other hand, just disregarded everyone around us to protect me. I had really never seen anything like it, just who on earth did this girl think that she was? How could she just do that for me when she was the more culpable one in this situation. "Young Master Nam, have you been coerced to drink this tea? More than once?" "I...yes I have..." "And you are aware that there is something very wrong with this tea, are you not?" "You bitch! What lies are you spewing out?" "Just what on earth is going on here! Why are you ...why are both women in my son's bedroom! Have you all lost your minds!" "Father...!" "My Lord, I have just caught the concubine actively trying to poison your son by mixing certain...fatal aphrodisiac substances in her tea that she keeps trying to serve him. Please serve your son justice my lord, he hasn't done anything wrong."