𝟭𝟭 the plan

THE TRIO CONSISTING of Kuina, Chishiya and Tomoko watched as Arisu discovered the disposal site of the traitors that the militants killed

   It was perfect timing; almost like the universe had purposefully done it. Tomoko often believed that the universe was on her side and was protecting her. Even so, if the universe decided to suddenly turn against her and harm her, she would tear it fucking apart to survive and get her goddamn happy ending.

   "It's time." Chishiya stated as he headed down the stairs leading to the disposal site.

   As the three arrived, Arisu's head whipped up to stare at them in shock and fear. It was clear he thought he had been found out by a militant and was about to end up in the corpse disposal himself.

   Chishiya flicked his head to the pile of rotting bodies, "That's what this utopia really looks like. Another beach rule: death to all traitors."

   "It's ironic, really." Tomoko spoke up, "The word utopia is taken from the Greek words 'ou' and 'topos', meaning 'not' and 'place'. The Greek meaning of utopia is 'a place that does not exist'. Arisu, we have something to discuss with you."

   "Arisu, you and Usagi seem to have gathered a whole bunch of information." Chishiya noted, "Are you two planning something?"

   Shifting uncomfortably on his feet, Arisu shook his head after a few moments of hesitation, "No, not really."

   Tomoko sucked in a sharp breath, "Alright, let's cut to the chase. How do you think you're going to live in a world full of despair?"

   He frowned, glancing between the three individuals circled around him. "Um, all I want is some answers. Who's behind these sick games? Who killed my friends? I thought I'd be able to survive and go back to the world the way it used to be. But if that's not possible, I want Usagi to return at the very least. She's the only reason I'm alive."

   "Heartfelt, I like it. But not very realistic." Tomoko stated with a smirk, "You would have to win every single game coming up and become the next number one, which is impossible. We all think you two have potential – that's why we're here right now. What would you say if I told you things could play out differently?"

   Chishiya finished for her, "Hatter's making sure he keeps control of the militant corps but it's only a matter of time before they retaliate. And if that happens, this place will be run by a bunch of brainless idiots with guns. Then, it's cut and run."

   "With Hatter gone for a game, the order at The Beach is at its weakest. It would be the perfect time for the militants to retaliate...and for our plan to take place." Tomoko said, her eyes glinting with mischief, "Our plan is to steal the cards and bail off The Beach. Are you in?"

   Arisu's expression changed from confusion to interest. He took a step toward Tomoko as if he were excited, before furrowing his eyebrows, "But how do you know where the cards are?"

   Chishiya tilted his head, "It goes without saying that number one has exclusive access to the cards. They're kept in a safe somewhere in number one's room, the royal suite. We must find out the code and use it on the safe."

   "Well, you will." Tomoko rephrased, "Chishiya and I will figure out the code. Usagi and Kuina will keep lookout. And you are the most important part, Arisu. You will collect the cards."

   Arisu gulped, the reality of the situation dawning on him. If anyone was caught, it meant death. But it was the only way out, right?

   "What if Usagi doesn't want to participate?" He asked.

   Tomoko chuckled, "She can't hitch a free ride, of course. She'll be stuck here for the rest of her time at Borderlands if she doesn't participate. She either takes part or stays here."

   "Right..." Arisu swallowed the anxious lump in his throat as he nodded, "Sorry, I need to speak to her. Goodbye."

   The trio watched him walk away, body trembling with the treacherous knowledge it held.

   Once he was out of earshot, Kuina took her fake cigarette out of her mouth and tipped her head to one side, "D'you think he'll do it?"

"He'll do it." Tomoko confirmed with a strict nod, "He wants answers too much and that will be his downfall."

Kuina's mouth twisted into a frown of sympathy. She walked over to Tomoko so that their arms were touching as they stood side by side, "I sort of feel bad for him."

"It's either him or us." Chishiya reminded her.

"And I'll do anything to protect you. Both of you." Tomoko stated firmly.

She glanced over to Kuina, who grabbed her hand and squeezed it. It was a surprising action, making Tomoko's eyes widen. The women rarely touched each other unless it was to do one another's makeup. They didn't even hug since that wasn't Tomoko's love language.

After the shower incident yesterday, Tomoko realised she had a crush on Kuina Hikari. At first, she decided she would keep that to herself. Then, her brother obviously found out due to her body language and teased her to no end, repeatedly making fun of how thick she was when it came to relationships even though she was a genius in other aspects. Tomoko replied by making fun of his hair, which was so dry it could be mistaken as straw.

Despite their usual sibling joking, Tomoko still felt worry twisting and tossing in her stomach. She was sort of glad she liked Kuina. Kuina was pretty, kind, giving and much more — or maybe Tomoko thought that because she liked her.

Either way, Tomoko liked that she liked Kuina. However, that didn't mean she didn't have her doubts. Having a crush on someone meant someone else to protect, someone else to grieve over if they died, someone that could betray her.

Would Kuina betray her? Tomoko doubted it. The girl was much too kind. Would Kuina like her back? Even more unlikely. More pain that stabbed her heart with icicles, forever freezing it and turning her into a cold, aloof monster.

Tomoko never got love from her parents. She could barely show Chishiya love.

How the hell would she ever be good enough for Kuina Hikari?

🂱

AUTHOR NOTES
told y'all tomoko would be in denial LMAO. that girl is terrified of feelings, but that's what happens when ur parents neglect you!! also the 2nd paragraph of this chapter is very vague, very ambiguous foreshadowing for the s1 finale 🤭