XL. WHO DOESN'T LOVE SAVING MONEY?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Paper Rings
chapter forty

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

                    THE MOMENT MICHAEL'S DOOR OPEN, EVELYN STOPPED BREATHING

THE MOMENT MICHAEL'S DOOR OPEN, EVELYN STOPPED BREATHING. Unconsciously, her feet moved her toward the tall man. His eyes met hers almost instantly, and his shoulders relaxed. "It wasn't me," he exhaled. Evelyn felt her own chest unclench, her shoulders deflating. "Oh, thank God," she replied.

          His mouth pulled back into a smile, his eyes flickering from hers to her lips. "Isn't it about tea time?" he asked, hands shoved into his pockets. Her eyes sparkled as she smiled back at him. "Any time is tea time," she replied. "But, you know what? I'm kinda wanting a mug now." He chuckled quietly, waiting for her to make the first move.

          Evelyn led Jim toward the break room, opening and holding the door for him. Once it was closed, Jim moved to her side, one hand reaching for hers. "Were you nervous?" he asked, their fingers intertwining. She glanced down at their conjoined hands before looking back up at him, her eyes wide. "Duh," she replied. "If you got fired, I'd have no big reason to be here anymore."

          His tongue darted out across his lips. He moved slightly closer, bringing her hand to his chest. "I think he's going to fire Creed," he whispered. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. Creed surely wasn't on her list of potential fire-ees. "Damn," she exhaled. "I owe Ryan five bucks."

          He pulled away, letting her hand drop to her side. While she grabbed the water heater to fill it with water, Jim took out two mugs. "Who'd you bet on?" he asked, curiously. She shrugged, switching on the tap. "Meredith. He can't fire Toby, so I thought he would go for the next person he really doesn't like."

          "Yeah, he really doesn't like Toby," Jim said, a bit of humor dripping from his words. Evelyn found herself smiling, glancing over her shoulder to see Jim picking at his nails. "I'm really glad it wasn't you," she admitted. "I know that I have other friends here, but if you were gone... I think I'd lose my mind."

━━━━━━━━━━

JIM
It's a nice feeling.

[ JIM IS SMILING TO HIMSELF, POINTER FINGER BITTEN BETWEEN HIS TEETH. THE MAN BEHIND THE CAMERA ASKS HIM TO CLARIFY. ]

JIM
Feeling wanted.

━━━━━━━━━━

          Michael's firing didn't seem to be going so well. Evelyn sat on the side of Jim's desk, her mug pressed to her lips. She watched the door in silence as the whole floor eavesdropped on the heated conversation. A part of her felt bad for Devon. He wasn't an awful person. He kind of just stuck to the background. But she also felt grateful that it was Devon and not Jim, or Pam, or even Dwight.